Announcement

Collapse

Contact details

Effective today, the contact details for the Northern Ireland Veterans' Association have changed to the following

The Secretary
57 Mortimer Street,
Derby.

DE24 8FX

Email: membership@nivets.org.uk
Web: www.nivets.org.uk
Mob: 07368 293729

NIVA Administration.
See more
See less

Great war comrades in arms.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One day I'll get over mate

Comment

Originally posted by Slopjockey View Post
      One day I'll get over mate
      Me too.
      In the summer of 1970, my unit were sent to a place called Mourmelon-Le-Grand, a French army camp in the Champagne area. The purpose was to give an artillery unit infantry training prior to build up for Op Banner. I only found out recently through watching the series Band of Brothers that the camp we were in was the same one used by the American 101 Airborne Division prior to them being sent to Bastogne during the German Ardennes offensive.
      Whilst at the camp, we spent a whole day touring the WW1 battlefields in that area. Quite a sobering experience, especially when our French guide told us of the number of fatalities the French army suffered during their ill fated 1915 Champage offensives against the entrenched Germans. Horrific would not describe it.
      You cannot fight a war with one hand tied behind your back.

Comment

We know mate and your guided tour on the house awaits you whenever!

Jock, the French casualties were simply staggering. They came close to losing more in under 12 months at Verdun alone than we lost from our own country in total over the entire war!
        The Germans attempted to bleed France white. They nearly did!

Chris.

Comment

Wasnt that the result of a really bright idea - an absolute master stroke?
          Secretly amass an overwhelming number of troops and attack at one relatively small spot.
          Bobs your uncle - end of static stalemate.
          Only trouble was the enemy got wind of it, and amassed an equally overwhelming number of troops to defend and counter attack.
          Result - bloodbath.
          Last edited by Guest; 31-05-2011, 08:39 PM. Reason: Got the last bit wrong - different bloodbath.

Comment

Working...
          X