Announcement

Collapse

Contact details

Effective today, the contact details for the Northern Ireland Veterans' Association have changed to the following

The Secretary
57 Mortimer Street,
Derby.

DE24 8FX

Email: membership@nivets.org.uk
Web: www.nivets.org.uk
Mob: 07368 293729

NIVA Administration.
See more
See less

Great war comrades in arms.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great war comrades in arms.

This week whilst walking the Great War battlefields at Fromelles and Ypres, I walked past unexploded munitions, shrapnel bullets, spent cases and the debris of that long ago war.
    I also tread very softly past the exposed remains of the fallen in the wake of the farmers plough. Nearly 100 years later, ribs, vertabrae, jaw bones with excellent teeth I dare say, webbing, buttons, broken clay pipes and more are still being dragged to the surface. Not enough to be classed as a single body but never the less, the sad mortal remains of the collective missing in action.
    It dawned on me a few minutes ago that I live and work even today in Valhalla's former battlefields. Simply staggering to say the least!

At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them.

[..At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. ]

Comment

It probably sounds totally impractical, but I feel that those battlefields should have been declared hallowed ground instead of handing it back to the farmers. A large proportion of those areas were static positions for a great part of the conflict. They have been ploughing over the areas for over 90 years and I warrant for the greater part of that time, they discarded most of the remains that were dug up making it nigh on impossible for the field detectives to do their thing. I suppose the only time they contacted the authorities was when they unearthed unexploded munitions or worse, gas shells. There was probably compensation money involved not to mention a nice sideline in souvenirs. After all, "sou-venir" is a French word.
      I couldn't do your job Chris. I was filling up just watching Battlefield Detectives on TV.

R.I.P. Never Forgotten.
      You cannot fight a war with one hand tied behind your back.

Comment

The job is heartbreaking sometimes especially when I accompany Sons, daughers, Grand children etc to their relatives grave. Sometimes it becomes too much and I hide a little whilst they place their poppy tributes and weep at the grave. But then later, it becomes a grand feeling knowing that I have helped a family pay homage to their fallen forefather who gave his tomorrow for our today.

I could list many things that go on over here that would make your blood boil but then again, I could list many things which would stop you dead in your tracks and simply say "Nice one mate"

I will be walking the battlefields again today as I do every day and without doubt the process will be repeated but I can assure you all of this;
        The fallen from that terrible war are not forgotten, trust me! Maybe by not all but their memory does lives on. On the face of it, I am very content and happy (at times) with my job if only for the freedom of choice in which these guys gave all for me to choose to do this.

Comment

Comment

5769322362_08cf758e2a_b.jpg

The battlefields surrounding the Ulster Tower on the Somme this week.

Comment

5769265454_01116a0ac1_b.jpg

Another.......

Comment

5769305982_b389989642_b.jpg

The Somme battlefields this Spring. Salute.........

Comment

Switches,

There is a group of elder motorcyclists doing a battle field tour in that area at the moment.
                  They are being guided by Sgt "Woodie" on his 1956 BSA C12.

If you see them please say hello to "Woodie from me.

Thanks.

Alan.
                  Be who you are and say what you feel...
                  Because those that matter, don't mind.
                  And those that mind, don't matter!

Comment

Those colours are amazing. It is small wonder that the poppy was chosen as the symbol of remembrance.

Comment

Singly, in a wreath or an entire field of poppies, always evokes in me a feeling I am glad to have.
                      A whole field of tulips or daffodils leaves me cold - I would much much rather see them individually.
                      I cannot fathom why folks take tours of the bulb fields in Holland. I would end up wanting to gouge my eyes out.

Comment

Sorry I couldn't make it the other day as I've been away, but one day I'll drag t'Chicken across for a couple of days to see you mate. I'm not aware of any of my descendants (English or German...) dying over there but it's still a very poignant and stirring place I'd like to explore and pay homage.
                        Visit tree 49/189 @ the NMA and say hello.

Comment

You will both be made very welcome indeed mate, just give us some notice and we will sort it!

Over the last few years, several NIVA members and their better halves have visited us over here and without doubt, great times were had by all and I believe all returned home much wiser and richer after their visit, for many reasons!

Strange how stuff happens, yesterday I took a family to visit their grand father who was RFA. He was KIA by counter battery fire during the Battle of Messines and then you post.........coincidence or other????

Best wishes

Switches

Comment

Switches
                            You have my utter admiration and respect

Comment

Thank you but it is my job after all. This morning I saw the bomb disposal service, DOVO working on the battlefields recovering munitions. Pretty sobering stuff when you remember on average, 3 people are killed, maimed, injured or affected by mustard gas every year around the town of Ypres. A farmer was killed 2 weeks ago ploughing when his plough detonated ordnance. The paper last week also revealed a farmers potato sieving machine being wrecked by detonating a german egg grenade. The Great War is still notching up it's victims today!

Comment

Working...
                              X