Announcement

Collapse

Contact details

Effective today, the contact details for the Northern Ireland Veterans' Association have changed to the following

The Secretary
57 Mortimer Street,
Derby.

DE24 8FX

Email: membership@nivets.org.uk
Web: www.nivets.org.uk
Mob: 07368 293729

NIVA Administration.
See more
See less

Commonwealth Graves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Commonwealth Graves

Hi
    Sorry if this seems a stupid question, but I discovered today an out of the way cemetery that has a sign on the gate ''Commonwealth Graves''.

It is located near Up Monkton Wimborne St Giles in East Dorset.

Is this worth me looking to see if there are any Op Banner graves here?
    Regards
    Ex

Always worth it mate. Remember, although we have located a large percentage of the graves, there are still many where we have no idea where they are laid to rest. So any military stone where the date is between 1969 and 2007 is well worth noting. Quite a few have been located that way. As you will no doubt know, the shape of the top of the stone is a big clue. Smooth top is pre 1948, cut away corners are the ones we are looking for.
    You cannot fight a war with one hand tied behind your back.

Comment

Thanks Jock, I will pop over in the week and have a look around.
      There is a small military cemetery outside of Tidworth on the road to Marlborough, next time I am that way I will look there also.
      REgards
      Ex

Comment

I know that one as I've been there. We have one lad buried in that location. Its actually called Durrington Council Cemetery and just off the A345 and has a lot of Canadian WW2 dead buried there. Our one is Pte Andrew Cockwill of the Royal Hants 17th May 1989 and if memory serves, he is located near the bottom right from the small car park. It is a military stone and had a small statue of an angel in front of it. The grave number is 1416. It was 6 years ago when I went there and there were flowers laid. Might be worth a look to see if there has been any recent activity and check on the condition of the stone as it was a bit tatty back then.

Comment

John Warnock RTR is laid to rest Tidworth Military Cemetary.
          I had the privilege of being a member of the guard of honour at his funeral.
          Fear Naught
          From mud, through blood to the green fields beyond.

Comment

Yes, I visited his grave and all the other Op Banner ones laid to rest in there. There's fifteen that I know of dating from 1969 to 1994.

Comment

Working...
            X