Announcement

Collapse

Contact details

Effective today, the contact details for the Northern Ireland Veterans' Association have changed to the following

The Secretary
57 Mortimer Street,
Derby.

DE24 8FX

Email: membership@nivets.org.uk
Web: www.nivets.org.uk
Mob: 07368 293729

NIVA Administration.
See more
See less

FAO Jock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FAO Jock

As previously stated Jock, lance bombardier Kevin Waller killed by a remote controlled ied whilst on foot patrol in the Divis flats complex in september 1982 should be within the roll of honour for 1WFR as Kevin was not on attachment from the RA to 1 WFR Kevin had actually applied for a permenant transfer and if he had survived the tour he would not have returned to the RA he would have remained with 1WFR.
    I also believe the permenant transfer had already been passed before the tour commenced.
    Regards.

All the info I have collated so far still points to Kevin being badged Royal Regiment of Artillery. He is also on the Royal Artillery ROH. But I will contact the Mercians and see if their archive throws a new light on this. I have a contact there who is RSM of one of their battalions. He actually took our parade at the NMA 2011.
    Due to the time of year, this will probably take a few weeks as most units not deployed are stood down now till the second week in January. Bear with me on this. As I always say, it's important we get this right.
    You cannot fight a war with one hand tied behind your back.

Comment

Many thanks Jock I appreciate your hard work...thank you.

Comment

I have just had word back from the RHQ Mercians. They confirm that Kevin was still badged Royal Regiment of Artillery when he was killed serving with WFR. The AFM also confirm this. So it looks like the transfer was not completed.
        Another fact was given to me reference Pte David Champ who was killed in 1972. He was serving with the Devon and Dorset Regiment but was in fact a member of 1 WFR. I will make the changes on the spreadsheet and his entry in our ROH will be changed when we do the next update.
        Don't be put off by this. It's people like yourself, asking questions and querying things, that enable us to get to the truth of things and ensures that our ROH is the most accurate in existence. We owe that to the ones we left behind.
        You cannot fight a war with one hand tied behind your back.

Comment

Visit tree 49/189 @ the NMA and say hello.

Comment

Working...
          X