Announcement

Collapse

Contact details

Effective today, the contact details for the Northern Ireland Veterans' Association have changed to the following

The Secretary
57 Mortimer Street,
Derby.

DE24 8FX

Email: membership@nivets.org.uk
Web: www.nivets.org.uk
Mob: 07368 293729

NIVA Administration.
See more
See less

Corporal Leon Anthony Bush 1 WFR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corporal Leon Anthony Bush 1 WFR

In memory of my mate 24428757 Corporal Leon Anthony Bush 1 WFR killed by a barrier bomb in West Belfast 30 years ago today R.I.P. Leon, mate.2012-09-21 19.00.15.jpg2012-09-21 19.03.58.jpg2012-09-21 18.58.54.jpg2011-11-12 14.37.00.jpg

NOT FORGOTTEN

Comment

Be who you are and say what you feel...
      Because those that matter, don't mind.
      And those that mind, don't matter!

Comment

Those are nice sentiments Davo.

R.I.P. Leon.

We Will Remember Them.
        You cannot fight a war with one hand tied behind your back.

Comment

Davo

Please can you contact me - I am Leon's niece and would love to talk to you about him. You can send me a message on the site and I'll send you my email address.

Suzie

Comment

leon009.jpgleon2.jpg

I have uploaded 2 photo's of Leon....does anyone know the 2 lads either side of him?

Comment

Comment

Just to say a big thankyou to everyone who has helped this last week. I have been in touch with 5 people so far, who have shared their recollections, memories, photo's and newspaper clippings on my Uncle Leon

Comment

It's what we do.
                  You cannot fight a war with one hand tied behind your back.

Comment

I knew both the lads on that pic with Leon, unfortunately both names escape me at this time both A company I believe although I also believe the lance corporal on the right was from Derby, the same fella if I am not mistaken fired off several rounds into a nearby building moments after the explosion mistakenly believing it could have been a trigger firing point for the device, still hard to talk about after all these years.

Comment

Hi Woofer

Thankyou for the info, from what I recall someone might have mentioned that one of the lads surnames was Clarence? Dont know if that rings any bells with you? I take it that you were in Belfast at the time then? It is nice to know that even after 30 years people havent forgotten Leon, and although he died 6 months before I was born, from what I hear he was a great bloke. He will never be forgotten, my brother named his son after Leon, who was born this year and so would be Leon's Great Nephew :)

In the last 2 weeks, I have been contacted by the Historical Enquiries Team, who are going to begin reviewing the case in January. So I am hoping that we are able to get information about people who were there at the time, and also what exactly happened, as we dont know the full story. I have spoken to some blokes who were in Belfast at the time thanks to this Forum, but I hope the report can answer some of the questions we have had for the last 30 years.

Thanks again for your reply, Sue

Comment

Sue, you are right I am sure his surname was clarence he was one of two brothers in the battalion , I was in west Belfast on the same tour and in the same A company as Leon although diffenet platoons as I have said Leon was a role model for me when I first joined the battalion and his proffesionalism and kindness I never forgot he was a brilliant soldier and a fantastic man...really was.
                        I always remember him fondly at work, at home bringing up my own two sons who have both been told about Leon I am so proud to have served in the same regiment .
                        I remember Leon was engaged to a girl from Mansfield his home town ?, he a close friend of a corporal Moss and another Mansfield lad lance corporal Binks I would be interested to hear what the HET team have to say if appropriate and if you wish to share their conclusions .
                        Leon was a hero and a true gentleman and I for one will never forget him.

Comment

Yes both are from A company but like yourself there names are there on the tip of my tongue.I was the duty signaller for A company that day and was talking with Leon as they did the checks on the barrier right up to the end,yes there were shots fired and some from IRA with QRF shooting out of whiterock double quick time.Ya I know what you mean as i have time on my hands I still hear the words of Leon and you could hear the explosion back in camp.So the voice you would have heard on that day was mine. Leon was a great guy always helped you out he was the Soldiers Soldier.Leon will always live on in those he touched and servied with I was proud to have known him and served with him RIP Leon.

Comment

Working...
                          X