Announcement

Collapse

Contact details

Effective today, the contact details for the Northern Ireland Veterans' Association have changed to the following

The Secretary
57 Mortimer Street,
Derby.

DE24 8FX

Email: membership@nivets.org.uk
Web: www.nivets.org.uk
Mob: 07368 293729

NIVA Administration.
See more
See less

Trooper Anthony Dykes, Blues and Royals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trooper Anthony Dykes, Blues and Royals

KIA 5/4/79 aged 25, married with two children. Anthony was one of two soldiers shot by the ira outside Andersonstown RUC station as their Saracen was pulling into the station when it came under fire, (the other being Anthony Thornett, 20, single and from Coventry). Gunmen had taken over a barber's shop opposite the entrance some hours before. They occupied the bedroom and hallway of the barber's home as customers came and went unaware of the planned attack. The barber told the inquest, "I realised it had something to do with the police station, but I hoped they'd go away. There was nothing I could do." A 26 year old woman from west Belfast was aquitted of murder but jailed for eight years when she admitted handling the weapons used in the killings which had been used in several other killings.

Source: "Lost Lives" 2004

Anthony is buried at Harworth & Bircotes Town Council cemetery, (not Harworth Parish Church), near Doncaster, South Yorkshire, (pictured).

Visit tree 49/189 @ the NMA and say hello.

Thanks G.

We will remember them.
    You cannot fight a war with one hand tied behind your back.

Comment

Well maintained cemetery, unlike the Parish churchyard which was like a jungle, he also seems to be well cared for.

The jungle.
      Visit tree 49/189 @ the NMA and say hello.

Comment

Comment

Be who you are and say what you feel...
          Because those that matter, don't mind.
          And those that mind, don't matter!

Comment

Working...
          X