Announcement

Collapse

Contact details

Effective today, the contact details for the Northern Ireland Veterans' Association have changed to the following

The Secretary
57 Mortimer Street,
Derby.

DE24 8FX

Email: membership@nivets.org.uk
Web: www.nivets.org.uk
Mob: 07368 293729

NIVA Administration.
See more
See less

Sgt Dave Rigby, RAF Helicopter Crewman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sgt Dave Rigby, RAF Helicopter Crewman

25 years ago today the Police station at XMG was getting a new roof. It was one of those days when South Armagh was painted Green with patrols posted all along the route from BBK to XMG for the RE convoy to pass safely. To support this there were 10 wessex operating in the area all day and by cease of play they had all flown the max hours they were able. 9 returned to Aldergrove whilst 1 stayed as the BBK night cover. Before they finished for the night the crew accepted a task to change over the Stag at Foxfield Sangar from Forkhill. The weather was bad, normal for NI, low cloud etc, they were tired and for whatever reason they flew into the mast next to the HLS. Why, only they really know, as we all operated in and out of that site, well aware of the mast and the risk it posed. Pilot error? Bad Voice Marshallng? Pressure To get the Job Done? Acceptable Risk? Fatigue? The Board of Enquiry didn't really answer the questions but a young life was lost on that hillside, one that 72 Sqn will always remember. RIP Dave your duty done. o7
    Huge
    In memory of Sgt Dave Rigby (72 Sqn) 25 Oct 85 and FS Jan Pewtress (230 Sqn) 26 Nov 92. May they rest in peace, both Crewmen who have \'Slipped the surly bonds of Earth\'

Per Adua ad Astra

Rest In Peace

Comment

Per ardua ad astra Dave

R.I.P
      79 Squadron RCT The most Elite regiment of the british army

sigpic
      Taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Comment

R.I.P. Lad.o7

We Will Remember Them.
        You cannot fight a war with one hand tied behind your back.

Comment

We Will Remember Them

Comment

Sadly I can not recall that incident. According to my log book, that month I was on Post Nothern Ireland leave and No 18 SNCO Cadre having just finished a Gazelle tour out of Aldergrove. As infantry in 1977 or was it 1980, I recall being in a four man brick guarding a small country cross road in South Armagh for a similer rebuild of Crossmaglen, how many times did that place get rebuilt?

I loved the smell of aviation fuel through the Wessex engines, not like the smell of the Lynx mixed with burnt oil. Though I suppose if you where being picked up you weren't to bothered what cab was doing it after time in the cuds?
            Time to spare, go by air!

Comment

1977, we did that Lynx; my brick was walking back from our spot; when I had to request a starlight; as the Lancejack IC the brick went whizzing past me down the hill having done his ankle in; can't remember his name. We also secured the route for the Queen on another ocassion that tour. XMG had been attacked just prior to us going out in 77; by mortars.

Comment

Working...
              X