Announcement

Collapse

Contact details

Effective today, the contact details for the Northern Ireland Veterans' Association have changed to the following

The Secretary
57 Mortimer Street,
Derby.

DE24 8FX

Email: membership@nivets.org.uk
Web: www.nivets.org.uk
Mob: 07368 293729

NIVA Administration.
See more
See less

Guardsman Paul Nicholls, 1st Battalion, The Scots Guards,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guardsman Paul Nicholls, 1st Battalion, The Scots Guards,

Remembering the Fallen: on this day in 1971, Guardsman Paul Nicholls, 1st Battalion, The Scots Guards, was killed in Belfast.
    His patrol had been carrying out a cordon-and-search operation on St. James' Crescent off the Falls Road. They approached a house which they did not know at the time had been taken over by at least four gunmen. The owner of the house had been made to sit in the kitchen with her hands on her head throughout the whole ordeal, and was later treated for shock.
    The lance-corporal in charge of the patrol reported that Guardsman Nicholls, the radio operator in the four-man patrol, was walking some distance behind him when he heard a series of single shots fired in rapid succession. He saw Guardsman Nicholls lying on the ground, having been shot in the back, and called for help - sadly he was pronounced dead on arrival at the hospital. No-one was brought to justice for his murder.
    Guardsman Nicholls was the middle child in a family of five sons. He lies buried in the churchyard in the village of Halkirk in Caithness, and on his headstone are the words, "In loving remembrance of a son and brother too dearly loved to be forgotten". He is also commemorated on the Halkirk war memorial.
    Paul, from Halkirk, was 18 years old.

So Pleased to note, He is also commemorated on the Halkirk war memorial.
    P-C
    Association Member/NIVA Merit Award Winner 2017/18
    Last edited by P-C; 30-11-2023, 09:50 AM.

Comment

Be who you are and say what you feel...
      Because those that matter, don't mind.
      And those that mind, don't matter!

Comment

Rest easy mucker.
        He is one of the few in Scotland that we have no grave photo for. It was too far north for me to do this one during my recent visit. But we do have a snap shot of his name on the memorial.

Nicholls memorial.jpg

You cannot fight a war with one hand tied behind your back.

Comment

We will not forget him,
          Spanners do it with their tools.

Comment

As always GBNF.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Jock2413 View Post
                It was too far north for me to do this one during my recent visit. But we do have a snap shot of his name on the memorial.

Caithness is seriously north, my father did some work up there in the seventies and used to fly up to Thurso on a Vickers Vanguard to get there. RIP
                Pen Pusher & Paper Shuffler

Comment

Working...
                X