Announcement

Collapse

Contact details

Effective today, the contact details for the Northern Ireland Veterans' Association have changed to the following

The Secretary
57 Mortimer Street,
Derby.

DE24 8FX

Email: membership@nivets.org.uk
Web: www.nivets.org.uk
Mob: 07368 293729

NIVA Administration.
See more
See less

Sgt Anthony Metcalfe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sgt Anthony Metcalfe

Sgt Anthony Metcalfe Coldstream Guards.

Killed by a sniper firing in to the Creggan Heights SF Base Creggan Derry (London Derry) 27/08/1972

Sgt Metcalfe was married and he and his wife were just about to adopt a baby boy.

(I share the same surname with Sgt Metcalfe and we are a "Yorkshire Clan". I am also the Lord of the Manor to the ancestral home. I came across another Metcalfe mentioned here In Remembrance and while checking if there were any other Metcalfe's discovered Sgt Metcalfe's details.).

Gone but not forgotten Kinsman.

Be who you are and say what you feel...
    Because those that matter, don't mind.
    And those that mind, don't matter!

Comment

Sgt Metcalfe.jpg

Sgt Tony Metcalfe, 1st Bn, Coldstream Guards.
      You cannot fight a war with one hand tied behind your back.

Comment

Cpl Ian Metcalfe GH.jpg

Cpl Ian Metcalfe, Green Howards.

Taken from our hard copy ROH:

Cpl Metcalfe was a 36 year old married soldier from the Bradford area. In June 1987, he deployed with his unit for an 18 month residential tour of duty based at Ebrington barracks in Londonderry.
        On 15th June 1988, Cpl Metcalfe and 5 fellow soldiers travelled from Londonderry in an unmarked van to Lisburn to partake in a charity “fun run” event to benefit disabled people. They had parked their vehicle in the car park of a local leisure centre which was the start/finish of the fun run. At about 2050hrs, having completed the run, the six soldiers boarded their van and left the car park. At about 2100hrs, the van was at the traffic lights at Market Place in Lisburn town centre. When the lights changed and the van moved off, a terrorist bomb which had been placed on the underside of the van exploded. Cpl Metcalfe and all his fellow soldiers were killed by the bomb. Eleven civilians were also injured, some seriously.
        Ian Metcalfe was cremated at Parkwood Crematorium, Elland, West Yorkshire.
        You cannot fight a war with one hand tied behind your back.

Comment

Be who you are and say what you feel...
          Because those that matter, don't mind.
          And those that mind, don't matter!

Comment

I grew up in BRADFORD and my sister lives in ELLAND so I should really try to pay my respects at some point.

Comment

We will not forget them
              Spanners do it with their tools.

Comment

GBNF

Comment

We will not forget them and always honour our fallen,
                  Spanners do it with their tools.

Comment

Working...
                  X