Announcement

Collapse

Contact details

Effective today, the contact details for the Northern Ireland Veterans' Association have changed to the following

The Secretary
57 Mortimer Street,
Derby.

DE24 8FX

Email: membership@nivets.org.uk
Web: www.nivets.org.uk
Mob: 07368 293729

NIVA Administration.
See more
See less

Pte Ian J O'connor 1 QLR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pte Ian J O'connor 1 QLR

30 March 1987 Private O'Connor was a member of a mobile patrol operating in support of a joint Army and RUC foot patrol in the Divis Flats complex. Just after 1230 hours as his Landrover passed between two of the buildings an explosive device was dropped onto the top of the vehicle. The device exploded on impact and he died very shortly afterwards. Private O'Connor was buried with full Military Honours on 7th April at the Roman Catholic Church of St. Thomas, Claughton-on-Brock.

Loyally He Served

GBNF Mucker

As always............ GBNF.

Comment

I think this was the first attack that caused a fatality using a drogue bomb with a shaped charge packed into a baked bean can. It was effective against the light armour on the roof of the landrovers used in the late 80's, but not so against the "pig" or Saracen.
      Rest easy lad.
      You cannot fight a war with one hand tied behind your back.

Comment

Be who you are and say what you feel...
        Because those that matter, don't mind.
        And those that mind, don't matter!

Comment

Sorry I missed this one, we will not forget them
          Spanners do it with their tools.

Comment

Raised the Poppy Flag today as usual Ian (Ian will be looking down thinking who the fuck is he talking about as we all called him Brezhnev due to his brushy eyebrows) and will raise a glass or three to you tonight.

I'm not sure If I've shared this with you all before but on the day before he was murdered I was on mobile patrol (West Belfast) and he was on a ration run. Our patrols / vehicles crossed each other on the Falls Road near the 'taxi' place next to the park (across the road from The RVH).

As we passed each other he flipped me a V and smirked (I laughed and thought I'd pay him back later). Later never came as he was killed in Divis Flats the next day.

I shared the, giving me the fingers, story with his Mum and Sister many years later and they said that was typical Ian. That's how they and I would like to remember him. Cheeky Bastard with big bushy eyebrows

We'd only been in country a week.

GBNF Mucker

Comment

We will not forget them, as long as we remember them they live on,

Comment

As always GBNF.

Comment

A few days early this year, but heading away and no internet connection. GBNF "Brezhnev" take it easy Mucker

Comment

Be who you are and say what you feel...
                    Because those that matter, don't mind.
                    And those that mind, don't matter!

Comment

As always GBNF.

Comment

we are here so they are not forgotten

Comment

Working...
                        X