Announcement

Collapse

Contact details

Effective today, the contact details for the Northern Ireland Veterans' Association have changed to the following

The Secretary
57 Mortimer Street,
Derby.

DE24 8FX

Email: membership@nivets.org.uk
Web: www.nivets.org.uk
Mob: 07368 293729

NIVA Administration.
See more
See less

Pte Iain O'Connor 1QLR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pte Iain O'Connor 1QLR

It has been 34 years ago since the murder of Iain O’Connor happened. In New Zealand it is 'today' the 30th March so forgive my early posting.

Like many on this site, for other fallen comrades; for me this feels like yesterday.

I never knew Iain as Iain and only knew him by his nickname “Brezhnev”. He had a very large pair of eyebrows you see. Iain was also not in my circle of friends (we were both in Support Company Iain in Mortars and myself in Milan Plt).

Support Coy was split up to fill manpower gaps in the Rifle Coy’s and we both ended up in C Coy. We shared mates and jokes but were not close.

We had only been deployed a few weeks (West Belfast) and were operating out of NHSM (North Howard Street Mill) when the tragedy occurred.

Without going in to too, much detail a grenade was dropped from Divis Flats exploding and killing Iain ‘instantly’. The first I knew was the quick reaction force (QRF) been fast balled and the Mill going in to lock down. For years I resented not been allowed out but later apologised to the then RSM once I understood ‘the big picture’.

But the feeling of regret remained.

I eventually contacted Iain’s Mum Jean (and his sister I cannot recall her name). Jean was a lovely lady.

I told her there was not a day goes by that the regiment does not think about Iain and we still mourn his passing. I went on to tell her my last memory of Iain. I’d like to share that with you all.

The day before I was on QRF heading back to the mill from another West Link chase. I was top cover.

Heading down Falls Road past the ‘taxi shop’ I saw Iain coming the opposite direction in another mobile patrol (think it was an egg run heading to Broadway Op).

As we approached each other, he flipped me the bird as I mouthed ‘wanker’ to him. Zipping past I saw him smile, as was I.

That was the last time I saw him and the next day he was dead.

His mother and sister laughed at the memory and said that was typical Iain behaviour. Jean kept in contact for a while telling me further stories and she joined the regiments facebook page and gained several hundred sons.

Having a mood swing, I dropped all social media and lost contact (feeling much better now and using the NIVA banter / comradeship to keep me grounded).

While I lost ‘faith’ I just want to say God Bless Iain and God Bless to all on this site helping keep the memory alive of all who paid the ultimate sacrifice, those who served in Operation Banner and the families of all who have to live with it.

Loyally He Served

Comment

Be who you are and say what you feel...
      Because those that matter, don't mind.
      And those that mind, don't matter!

Comment

Duty done.

Comment

Rest easy mucker.
          We Will Remember Them.
          Well done for keeping in touch with the family. I know from experience that even decades later, it really means a lot to them to know that he/she is remembered.
          You cannot fight a war with one hand tied behind your back.

Comment

Fear Naught
            From mud, through blood to the green fields beyond.

Comment

Thanks for sharing Madcalfe
              In memory of Private David James McCahill
              The Gloucestershire Regiment.
              In memory of Gunner William John Marks
              91st Field Regiment. The Royal Artillery.

Comment

We will not forget him, RIP Ian,
                Spanners do it with their tools.

Comment

Working...
                X