Announcement

Collapse

Contact details

Effective today, the contact details for the Northern Ireland Veterans' Association have changed to the following

The Secretary
57 Mortimer Street,
Derby.

DE24 8FX

Email: membership@nivets.org.uk
Web: www.nivets.org.uk
Mob: 07368 293729

NIVA Administration.
See more
See less

Northern Ireland Roll of Honour Comment thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In memory of..

Slops,
    I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, but there are a couple of inaccuracies in the Roll of Honour. First, Ken has L/Bdr Laurie as being shot during the same incident that "Geordie" Curtis was killed on the 6 Feb 1971. "Jock was actually shot on the 8 Feb 1971. He was the driver of one of two landrovers on a mobile patrol on the Crumlin Rd Belfast. He did die as stated on the 15 Feb 1971. It may seem a little thing but this one is personal to me as they were doing a "hot run" for my troop. We were guarding the Ardoyne bus garage and had had no food all day. You can imagine what effect that incident had on us.
    He also has two other members of my regiment being killed in an ambush, Bdr Heinz Pisarek and Gnr Joseph "Steve" Brookes on 25 November 1973. They were actually guarding the bottom entrance to the Tango 2 OP, which as some will know was on the roof of Rossville flats in the Bogside. They were both shot at close range by 2 gunmen, possibly having been distracted by high velocity shots which had been fired at the OP fron Glenfada Park. Steel shields were installed the next day!!
    Finally, Sgt John Haughey who was killed two months later. The circumstances are correct, but the location was at the junction of Lonemoor Road and Stanley Walk in the Bogside, not the Creggan as stated.
    It may seem to some that they are minor points, but two of those lads were personal friends of mine and I think if we are to Honour their passing, the circumstances should be accurate.

R.I.P. to all.
    You cannot fight a war with one hand tied behind your back.

Comment

I'll let Ken know.
      They are not minor points mate.....we want to get it right.

Comment

Thanks Jock, that's exactly the detail needed to ensure accuracy before memories fade. I can't remember which site it was but I became extremely distrssed and then upset and depressed when they got George's middle name wrong, a minor point but I thought it sloppy and disrespectful when every other source has it right. If we don't remember, who will?
        Visit tree 49/189 @ the NMA and say hello.

Comment

Working...
        X