Announcement

Collapse

Contact details

Effective today, the contact details for the Northern Ireland Veterans' Association have changed to the following

The Secretary
57 Mortimer Street,
Derby.

DE24 8FX

Email: membership@nivets.org.uk
Web: www.nivets.org.uk
Mob: 07368 293729

NIVA Administration.
See more
See less

M62 Coach Bomb 40th Anniversary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M62 Coach Bomb 40th Anniversary

February 4th marks the 40th anniversary of the horrific murders of twelve soldiers and civilians who were travelling from Manchester to Catterick Garrison by coach. 38 people were also seriously injured. RIP.

‘Daddy, Can We Sit Back There?’

Dedicated to those who died on the 4th February 1974, their families and the survivors.

“How could a woman kill innocent kids?” A nation of women cried down.
    Reading a tale of the bold IRA, the killers of children with never a frown.
    “Hangings too good for people like her” The nation cried out, it’s anguish complete.
    For here was the woman that murdered them all, those people with semtex just under their feet.
    For she had strolled up, that dark winters night, as cool as you please, and done her sick deed.
    Condemning so many to horrible death, just doing her ‘duty’, fulfilling her creed.
    By throwing that case in the boot of the bus, then watching the soldiers and children climb on,
    She witnessed the victims of her semtex bomb.
    She smiled at the young ones, walked swiftly away, night breeze in her hair,
    The words drifted to her, “Can we sit back there?”

So now the bus travelled through Manchester’s Streets, the hour had gone midnight, the die had been cast.
    The journey it travelled, with headlights ablazing, would now be it’s last.
    And as the gears ground up the long Pennine slopes,
    The passengers slumbered, their dreams and their hopes,
    Would soon become nothing, for ticking below,
    The clock in the suitcase was ready to show,
    How the bold IRA murdered women and kids, to achieve its sick ends, to let the world see
    How a united Ireland would be good for them all, and would teach you and me.
    And the tales of this ‘bravery’ would echo for years,
    Along with the shedding of millions of tears.

Twelve people lay dead on that cross Pennine road.
    The coach had exploded, disgorging it’s load,
    Across all six lanes of the M62, and firemen wept as they counted the toll,
    Of women and children, whole families killed, by the ones with no soul.
    And what of this women who planted the bomb, in bed with her lover as victims lay dead?
    The wrong that she’d done never entered her head.
    Her thirty year sentence cut short in its prime.
    Her appeal upheld, by judges so stupid for cutting her time.
    Now there’s nothing to show on cold Hartshead moor, as the winter wind moans past the odd farmhouse door.
    A small noise just whispers across fields so bare,
    A young child asking, “Can we sit back there??

Dave 2004.

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/...tice-1-6414550
    Visit tree 49/189 @ the NMA and say hello.

Comment

Lest we forget.
      In memory of Private David James McCahill
      The Gloucestershire Regiment.
      In memory of Gunner William John Marks
      91st Field Regiment. The Royal Artillery.

Comment

I will never forget.

I was stationed at Catterick then and had planned to take my wife and two kids to her parents in Manchester that weekend. We would have caught the same bus back on the Sunday. As it was, we simply couldn't afford to go that weekend.

Always in my thoughts.

Comment

Always remembered.
          I was in Londonderry at the time of this atrocity and I remember trying to get my head around this. What was particularly tragic was the loss of the whole Haughton family. How the deaths of Linda, Lee and Robert furthered the cause of Irish republicanism was, and still is totally beyond me.
          You cannot fight a war with one hand tied behind your back.

Comment

I was on duty at HMP Maze when this happened. An unusual group walked around the inner walkway of the Maze, so I, like most others in the watchtowers radioed in to query this. They told us it was a 'legit' patrol.

It seems that one of the lads further up the inner walkway, and in a tower, was related to some of the victims in the bomb.

They thought he might have a radio (which were forbidden) and might have heard the newsreports.

As we all had our SLR's with a magazine of 20 rounds, they feared he might have 'opened up' on the IRA section/cages in Long Kesh.

So they got the lad out pronto !

We were overlooking the convicted cages, which included among others, the scum who murdered the 3 young Scottish soldiers

Comment

Always remembered.
              Be who you are and say what you feel...
              Because those that matter, don't mind.
              And those that mind, don't matter!

Comment

Quite a few of my friends are on the photos from the memorial, mainly ex-paras. My home town of Rochdale looks to have been well represented.

http://www.examiner.co.uk/news/tribu...h-bomb-6661977

Comment

Working...
                X