Announcement

Collapse

Contact details

Effective today, the contact details for the Northern Ireland Veterans' Association have changed to the following

The Secretary
57 Mortimer Street,
Derby.

DE24 8FX

Email: membership@nivets.org.uk
Web: www.nivets.org.uk
Mob: 07368 293729

NIVA Administration.
See more
See less

In Memory of L/Cpl Graham Lambie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In Memory of L/Cpl Graham Lambie

I was thinking of you Saturday,
    And all the plans you made..
    No matter the years that pass Graham
    The memories never fade.
    You always walk beside me,
    We are never far apart.
    Though other folks can't see you
    You are living in my heart.

Love as always
    Mom and Ali. xxx

On Wednesday 15 June 1988 at 8.50 p.m., an unmarked blue Ford Transit van carrying six off-duty British soldiers in civilian clothes drove off from a leisure centre carpark in Lisburn. The soldiers had just taken part in the "Lisburn Fun Run", a 13-mile charity half marathon held in the town. They had left the van unattended in the carpark, which was the start and finish point for the run. It was there that an IRA Active Service Unit (ASU), who had been following the van, hid a booby-trap bomb underneath the vehicle.[2] The half marathon and shorter "fun runs" were organised by Lisburn Borough Council, together with the YMCA, to raise funds for the handicapped. There were 4,500 participants that day and at least 200 Army personnel had been given leave to participate in the event.[2][3]
    Nine minutes later, the van stopped at traffic lights at Market Square, in Lisburn's town centre. As the van moved on, the seven-pound booby-trap bomb detonated, turning the van into a massive fireball and instantly killing four of the soldiers as the vehicle disintegrated with the force of the blast. The semtex device had been designed in a cone shape to channel the blast upwards, thereby causing maximum damage to the vehicle and the soldiers inside. The area around Market Square was crowded with onlookers, including many teenagers and families with young children, although the biggest crowd was at the carpark. In all, about 10,000 onlookers had attended the charity run.[4][5] There was pandemonium as frightened parents searched for their children, whilst others rushed to give aid to the dead and dying soldiers before fire engines and ambulances arrived.
    Eleven civilian bystanders were injured in the attack, including a two-year-old child and an 80-year-old man.[2] Another soldier died on the way to hospital whilst a sixth soldier died later that night after undergoing surgery for severe head injuries. The dead soldiers were stationed at Ebrington Barracks in Derry and were returning to base when the bomb went off. Four of the men – Sergeant Michael Winkler (31), Signalman Mark Clavey (24), Lance Corporal Graham Lambie (22), and Corporal William Patterson (22) – were from the Royal Signals regiment, whilst the other two – Corporal Ian Metcalf (36) and Lance Corporal Derek Green (20) – were from the Green Howards and Royal Army Ordnance Corps regiments respectively
    In tribute to L/Cpl Graham P Lambie
    15th June 1988 Lisburn, Antrim NI

We are proud to speak your name.

'Per Ardua ad Astra'

Remembered with honour.

Comment

Vonnie, I've seen a photograph of the floral tribute in Graham's memory left at the memorial in Lisburn.
      We will remember them.
      You cannot fight a war with one hand tied behind your back.

Comment

Visit tree 49/189 @ the NMA and say hello.

Comment

Lisburn.jpg

The wreath was laid by a lass called Maureen Herron who lives in the area. There was a card that went with it but it has been removed.
          You cannot fight a war with one hand tied behind your back.

Comment

Comment

Be who you are and say what you feel...
              Because those that matter, don't mind.
              And those that mind, don't matter!

Comment

always remembered......... I have a friend who went to the run with a group from Aldergrove...their transport was parked in the same car park. Thinking of you at this time Vonnie.
                wee mac

Smallest man in NATO. ascendit stilla, numquam vastate duplici

Comment

Thank you........it is always a comfort to know Graham is in your thoughts too.

'Per Ardua ad Astra'

Comment

One and all Vonnie, it's what makes us tick.
                    Visit tree 49/189 @ the NMA and say hello.

Comment

Originally posted by On1on View Post
                      One and all Vonnie, it's what makes us tick.
                      xxx

'Per Ardua ad Astra'

Comment

You have had some tragedy in your life Vonnie but your courage inspires us and my life is enriched by your strength. I am not ashamed to admit that as I read this I have tears in my eyes. Hope you and ali are keeping well.
                        Spanners do it with their tools.

Comment

Working...
                        X