Announcement

Collapse

Contact details

Effective today, the contact details for the Northern Ireland Veterans' Association have changed to the following

The Secretary
57 Mortimer Street,
Derby.

DE24 8FX

Email: membership@nivets.org.uk
Web: www.nivets.org.uk
Mob: 07368 293729

NIVA Administration.
See more
See less

Bombardier Heinz Pisarek and Gunner Joseph Brooks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was with Bdr Heinz Pizarek and gnr Joseph (steve) Brookes that fatefull night I had just been relieved by them to guard the lift and lower stair entrances below Tango 2 op we had just had some grub and setted down for a kip when all hell broke loose below us I can still remember the sound of the Thompson to this day and it will live with me forever.When I got to steve he was just sleeping with a spot of blood on his cheak but dead Heinz was in agony on the floor. Crash call Crash call that's all that keeps going through my head today.
    Sleep well lads you will never be forgoten

Comment

It doesn't go away does it. Heinz was a good mate of mine and what happened that night is still hard to take. His widow, Ruth came to our NMA service last year. She was sat right next to me in the chapel, and when his name was read during the reading of the Roll of Units, I was close to losing it.
      You cannot fight a war with one hand tied behind your back.

Comment

7778, we will remember them, we lived on to honour thier them.
        Spanners do it with their tools.

Comment

I make no apology for once again Remembering my comrades from my old Regiment. Rest easy lads. Always remembered.

Comment

Originally posted by Jock2413 View Post
            25 November 1973

Bombardier Heinz Pisarek and Gunner Joseph Brooks of 156 Inkerman Battery, 94 Locating Regiment, Royal Regiment of Artillery.

Heinz and "Steve" were on duty at the Tango2 OP located on top of Rossville flats in the Bogside, Londonderry. Their task was to guard the lower entrance to the rest room which lead to the OP. At approxamately 2100hrs, the OP was fired on from the Glenfada Park area. At the same time, using people exiting the lift as cover, two gunmen surprised the men on guard shooting both of them dead.
            Heinz Pisarek was one of the most popular guys in the regiment and a personal friend of mine. Tremendously fit, he was a Regimental P.T.I. and had a sense of humour to be admired. His supply of jokes could last for hours. Heinz had already had a lucky escape in 1971 when, in the same incident in which Gunner Curtis was killed in the New Lodge, Belfast, a 9mm round hit the battery pack of the A41 radio he was carrying and lodged in his web belt.

Always Remembered....Never Forgotten

R.I.P. Old friend.

Joseph or Steve as everyone knew him was relatively new to the regiment but during build up showed himself to be a really switched on lad.

Always Remembered....Never Forgotten

R.I.P.

As a point of irony, the first two soldiers to die through terrorist action were from 94 Regiment. Heinz and "Steve" were 201 and 202.
            Before I had joined 94. I heard the story and was even more determined to do the right thing. RIP lads. We didn't forget then and we won't forget now.

Comment

Comment

Comment

In memory of Private David James McCahill
                  The Gloucestershire Regiment.
                  In memory of Gunner William John Marks
                  91st Field Regiment. The Royal Artillery.

Comment

Comment

Be who you are and say what you feel...
                      Because those that matter, don't mind.
                      And those that mind, don't matter!

Comment

Just got a senior moment, when I was a lad in the boys service learning the art of painting and decorating, we had a lad in our group, his name was Heinz, fair haired lad and he transferred over to the Gunners soon after enlistment? Cannot remember his last name? I think he was going to do range finding for those big things that go bang? Memory a bit fuzzy for back 1968?

Comment

Originally posted by exsapper View Post
                          Just got a senior moment, when I was a lad in the boys service learning the art of painting and decorating, we had a lad in our group, his name was Heinz, fair haired lad and he transferred over to the Gunners soon after enlistment? Cannot remember his last name? I think he was going to do range finding for those big things that go bang? Memory a bit fuzzy for back 1968?
                          Could be.

Painting and decorating?!

Comment

Originally posted by Wolgrub View Post
                            Could be.

Painting and decorating?!
                            Yes if it moved I saluted, if it stood still I painted it... I remember Heinz always had a smile...

Comment

I don't think it is the same lad. Heinz was aged 30 when he was killed in 1973 and his number was 23888432. He was already a L/Bdr when I joined 94 Regiment in 1968. He was married at that time and his eldest boy Karl was born in 1966.

Comment

Thanks Jock, well it was just a senior moment in the old grey matter, his number would of been 2414xxxx...... Body beginning to fall apart at the moment...

Comment

Working...
                                X