Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Albert Cooper

Albert Cooper

November 2nd, 1990

Names....they evoke memories or click knowledge buttons. Some more easily than others. Ones that instantly spur the details of place and circumstances, like a sitrep.

Albert Cooper was a Part-Time Sgt Major with 8UDR in Cookstown and ran a garage in the town.
    A young girl brought a Vauxhall Astra in for Albert to have a look at; she left, and, when Albert got in, started the car and engaged the gears, the car exploded, killing him.

It's one thing to go out, night after night, for years, in the expectation of a contact or an IED. It always struck me as being of inestimable tragedy when these *******s picked off comrades at their most vulnerable and 'normal' part of their lives.
    There are stories like this throughout the history of my regiment and the country we served; still, every time I look at 'Lost Lives' or see a name at the top of the forum page, I remember how they died and feel the pain of their loss, and the impact on their families.

Rest easy Albert, and all our comrades.
    Last edited by BigStevie; 05-01-2012 at 10:36 PM. Reason: typo

Old Warhorse turned Admin. Order of Bogdan Khmelnitsky 1st Class DeadHorse's Avatar
    Kent, nowhere near 'that Yorkshire' {{{shudder}}}
    Too sad for words mate.
    RCT & bar (fully licensed)
    This Vehicle is Alarmed
    (but the driver has seen it all before)
    You can lead a horse to water - but you cant make me drink the stuff.

We Will Remember Them.
    You cannot fight a war with one hand tied behind your back.

Chatterbox

Association Member of WUSA bigal's Avatar
    Be who you are and say what you feel...
    Because those that matter, don't mind.
    And those that mind, don't matter!

Convicted with a co-accused of murder in November 1990 the girl involved was a 19 year old student nurse and was one of the last female prisoners released in December 1998 under the terms of the Good Friday Agreement.

It was alleged that in retaliation a 43 year old married Catholic father of 4 children working on a car in a garage in Stewartstown was shot at close range by two men armed with a rifle and a handgun. He had no connection with the Republican Movement.

RIP both.
    Time to spare, go by air!

Association Member & Registered Breast Fondler with special responsibilities for Post Counting. bigmal's Avatar

May the bitch rot in hell.
    ARTE ET MARTE.........TWIST TO OPEN

Pog Mo Thoin

I'm a great believer in naming and shaming. So saying that......

Geraldine Ferrity, given a life sentence for the murder of Albert Cooper. The bitch was released under the GFA.
    James Duffin, given a life sentence for the same murder. This bas*ard was also gifted release under the GFA.
    If I could dig out their present address, I would post that up as well.
    You cannot fight a war with one hand tied behind your back.

I have always thought that in some ways, those of us serving tours in NI had it 'easy'. The UDR lads had to go home at night, to houses not a stones throw from where the enemy were living. They also had to bring their families up in terrible circumstances, with the threat of attack or intimidation at the forefront of their everyday lives.
    RIP Albert, and all the rest of our UDR comrades, murdered for just trying to carve out a better life.

'For a soldier I listed, to grow great in fame. And be shot at for ninepence a day.'

'Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch'

'It's been hard getting over my addiction to the hokey cokey, but I've turned myself around and that's what it's all about.'

Golden Greeter/Association Standard Bearer weemac's Avatar
    lest we forget
    wee mac

Smallest man in NATO. ascendit stilla, numquam vastate duplici