Announcement

Collapse

Contact details

Effective today, the contact details for the Northern Ireland Veterans' Association have changed to the following

The Secretary
57 Mortimer Street,
Derby.

DE24 8FX

Email: membership@nivets.org.uk
Web: www.nivets.org.uk
Mob: 07368 293729

NIVA Administration.
See more
See less

RAF veterans bury lost comrade in Berlin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RAF veterans bury lost comrade in Berlin

RAF veterans bury lost comrade in Berlin

16 Oct 08

Two RAF veterans who were shot down on a bombing raid over Germany in the Second World War took part in an emotional funeral today, Thursday 16 October 2008, to bury their lost comrade-in-arms, Sergeant John Bremner.

Until recently Sgt Bremner's body lay undiscovered at the crash site of Halifax bomber LW337 which was shot down by an enemy night fighter during a mission over Berlin on 20 January 1944.

Pilot Officer Reg Wilson and Sergeant John Bushell along with two other crewmen managed to escape the Halifax as it rapidly plunged on fire from a height of 17,000 feet (5,182 metres) before crashing and killing four members of the crew, including Sgt Bremner who was the aircraft's flight engineer.

John Bushell, who was the rear gunner on the aircraft, remarked on how lucky he was to escape the stricken Halifax:

"I was struggling to get out when the aircraft went over and I hit my head on the gunsight, which stunned me at the time but as the aircraft went over it threw me out.

http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/De...deInBerlin.htm

The Royal Air Force Collect 3

O Holy Spirit, Breath of God, who dost inspire and sustain man's destiny,
    quicken we beseech Thee, the hearts and minds of all who serve in the Royal
    Air Force; that those who fly may brave the perils of the air with courage; that
    those who labour on the ground may be infused with zeal and devotion; and
    that all who bear the burden and heat of the day may be refreshed with the live-
    giving power of thy grace; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen

RIP Gentleman Duty Done

Comment

WE WILL REMEMBER THEM...

Comment

Working...
      X