Announcement

Collapse

Contact details

Effective today, the contact details for the Northern Ireland Veterans' Association have changed to the following

The Secretary
57 Mortimer Street,
Derby.

DE24 8FX

Email: membership@nivets.org.uk
Web: www.nivets.org.uk
Mob: 07368 293729

NIVA Administration.
See more
See less

17 September 1944: Airborne invasion of Holland begins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 17 September 1944: Airborne invasion of Holland begins

17 September 1944: Airborne invasion of Holland begins

Allied forces have landed behind enemy lines in Holland at the beginning of a massive operation designed to bring an end to the war in Europe.

RAF Lancasters and about 1,000 US Flying Fortress bombers had prepared the way by attacking airfields, German gun positions and barracks.

At noon today, thousands of fully equipped troops parachuted down from more than 1,000 aircraft into the Rhine delta and behind enemy lines.

RAF Mitchells and Boston Medium bombers, Mosquitoes, Typhoons, Spitfires and American Mustangs and Lightnings bombed barracks and gun emplacements allowing gliders to landed in relative safety.

"Success may mean all the difference between a rapid decision in the West and a protracted winter campaign"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/d...00/3662264.stm

Also on the page is an AUDIO from the BBC's files. Ed Murrow counts paratroopers as they jump into Holland

I recall reading of one year's guided tour of the battlefield by a veteran of the battle; after describing the conditions and ferocity of the fighting, one of those listening asked him, " you were surrounded, with little ammunition, and little chance of success or being relieved - why did you keep fighting on?"

With tears in his eyes he replied, "Because they were my friends".

Remembering the epic struggles at both the bridge and at Oosterbeek, the 'Cauldron'.

Comment

Bottle or what........Lest We Forget

Comment

They had bottle alright, I had an uncle who dropped there, he was taken prisoner after an hour, my pop used to rib him because he had only volunteered for airborne because of the extra pay. I think it was 2/6d extra a day.
        Still an amazing story though, one I can read about again and again.

Comment

Remember Jeremy Clarksons programme about his elderly father in law. Only after he died of old age, did they find out, that he won a VC during that battle. He forgot to mention it to his family throughout his life and it only came to light after he had passed away! His citation is absolutely awesome! He sort of blew up half a dozen German tanks at point blank range with a piat! It's a crap spring in a tube that launches a poxy little bomb about 50 yards if you are lucky! After this action, he was found to be bleeding from multiple wounds, totally deaf and semi naked rallying a platoon of infantry, after having half his battledress burnt away and blown off in the process! I know what my tank was capable of doing to infantry at close quarters and I'm buggered if I would have a go at one with a grenade on the end of a spring!! Hats off guys!

Comment

Another gem Keith. I don't know where you dig these reports up from but you've certainly got your eye on the ball mate.

A very heroic and pivotal operation, the likes of which we may never see again.

Capt

Comment

A Piat

The PIAT (Projector, Infantry, Anti-Tank) first came into service

in late 1942. It launched a 3lb. hollow charge bomb, that was fired

by a powerful spring that detonated the bomb's propellant. The PIAT

weighed 32 lbs., and was odd to handle. It had a lot of recoil and

was hard to reload. To help pull the spring back, soldiers would sometimes

use their feet. After it was cocked, you would place the projectile in the

spingot, and it was ready to fire. A monopod was provided for support.

The PIAT was accurate up to 90 yards, and was effective against all German

tanks.

Comment

FANTASTIC Keith!
                Still would'nt want to have ago at half a dozen tanks with one mind!
                Rather run away to be honest! :roll:

Comment

I am in awe every november to see these tired old chaps at the cenotaph every year , usually in the pub after my self and the lads i go with make a point of talkin to them and hearing their storys , grand old chaps just fewer every year , you cant help but be amazed at their courage and dedication ,, what ever theatre they fought in .

stew.. :)

Comment

Working...
                  X