Announcement

Collapse

Contact details

Effective today, the contact details for the Northern Ireland Veterans' Association have changed to the following

The Secretary
57 Mortimer Street,
Derby.

DE24 8FX

Email: membership@nivets.org.uk
Web: www.nivets.org.uk
Mob: 07368 293729

NIVA Administration.
See more
See less

Cooper brothers of Braintree

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooper brothers of Braintree

Just to get an idea of the scale of WW1, my wife's family tree includes three brothers, Bertie Cooper, Arthur Cooper and George Cooper, all killed in 1917 within six months of each other. Their names are on the memorial at Braintree, Essex. You just can't get your head around that kind of loss. It's humbling

We have a couple of family tragedies on our ROH as well mate. Brothers John and Thomas Rudman of the Light Infantry. John was killed in September 1971 and almost exactly 1 year later, Thomas was killed. There was also the Foxalls of the RRF but I think they were cousins. They died within 3 days of each other in 1980. And, of course everybody remembers the McCaig brothers, John and Joseph who along with their cousin Dougal McCaughey were murdered at Ligoniel in March 1971.
    But I think the most tragic I ever read about was the Sullivan brothers. All five of them were killed at the same time when their ship USS Juneau was sunk in WW2.
    You cannot fight a war with one hand tied behind your back.

Comment

Originally posted by Jock2413 View Post
      We have a couple of family tragedies on our ROH as well mate. Brothers John and Thomas Rudman of the Light Infantry. John was killed in September 1971 and almost exactly 1 year later, Thomas was killed. There was also the Foxalls of the RRF but I think they were cousins. They died within 3 days of each other in 1980. And, of course everybody remembers the McCaig brothers, John and Joseph who along with their cousin Dougal McCaughey were murdered at Ligoniel in March 1971.
      But I think the most tragic I ever read about was the Sullivan brothers. All five of them were killed at the same time when their ship USS Juneau was sunk in WW2.
      I think that USS Juneau incident prompted a change in US policy regarding siblings serving in the same unit for exactly that reason...

Comment

Working...
      X