Announcement

Collapse

Contact details

Effective today, the contact details for the Northern Ireland Veterans' Association have changed to the following

The Secretary
57 Mortimer Street,
Derby.

DE24 8FX

Email: membership@nivets.org.uk
Web: www.nivets.org.uk
Mob: 07368 293729

NIVA Administration.
See more
See less

July 13th, 1972

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• July 13th, 1972

I was doing a bit of research work for the ROH and found this entry in 'Lost Lives'. This is the entire entry - I will leave comment to you who read this.

Pte Henry James Russell,22, single, A Coy (P/T) 9 UDR

"From Sunnylands Ave in Carrickfergus, Co. Antrim, his body was found in a lane near Larkfield Avenue in Sydenham (East Belfast). It was found by an Army patrol shortly after 0200. Henry was the fourth Catholic member of the regiment to be killed - he had been burned, stabbed, beaten and then shot in the head.
    When found he was wearing only a tie and his underwear, and a scarf had been placed around his head. He had left home the previous evening to go to his work at Purdysburn Hospital.
    A prominent member of the UDA/UFF was believed to have belonged to the group responsible for the Catholic soldier's murder.
    Hundreds of people lined the route of the funeral as the coffin, carried by a UDR colour party, passed through Carrickfergus.
    Private Russell had enlisted in the UDR just over a month earlier after leaving the RAF. His family had spent three months living in East Belfast after being intimidated out of their original home in the New Barnsley area of West Belfast. He had wanted to return to live with his family in Carrickfergus. He was buried at Victoria Cemetary in the town."

Rest easy, comrade.

Lest We Forget

Comment

RIP
      Never to be forgotten.

Comment

RIP We Will Remember Them

bobc.........

Comment

rememberance

A catholic in the UDR, a brave man indeed, not forgotten.
          Spanners do it with their tools.

Comment

A young man who only wanted to go home. A deep respect from me to him. R.I.P. Gone but hopefully not forgotten.

Comment

Rest easy lad.

We will remember you.
              In tribute to L/Cpl Graham P Lambie
              15th June 1988 Lisburn, Antrim NI

We are proud to speak your name.

'Per Ardua ad Astra'

Comment

This found a way through to that little locked room inside me tonight. The poor lad.

This is why we should never forget and this is why we will never forget. Whatever your thoughts may be on the 10 September keep that thought with you.

Comment

Working...
                X