Announcement

Collapse

Contact details

Effective today, the contact details for the Northern Ireland Veterans' Association have changed to the following

The Secretary
57 Mortimer Street,
Derby.

DE24 8FX

Email: membership@nivets.org.uk
Web: www.nivets.org.uk
Mob: 07368 293729

NIVA Administration.
See more
See less

Graham Powls 11/07/1983

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Graham Powls 11/07/1983

On this day 25 years ago J/Ldr Graham Powls (Green Howards) 15 Pl Arnhem Company I.J.L.B died when his trench collapsed on him during the night. I along with others from the Pl and the Staff dug Graham out by hand, in vain as it turned out. Graham was only 17 yrs old, we joined together on the same day in 1982 and where both originally in 14 Pl. His death was the result of a tragic mistake (according to the board of inquiry) I have for all these years blamed my self for this as I assisted with the digging of the trench and covering the sleeping bay that collapsed, Graham was a great lad and a good friend, he shouldnt have left us when he did. We had our passing out photo taken 2 days before we went on our final training exercise and I still have this, the thing that hurts me about this event is that no memorial service was held at IJLB for him and at our passing out parade 4 weeks after his death he was not remembered by the Bn, this has always bothered me along with being told along with a few others from our section that we could not attend his funeral because the new Coy 2ic decided he wanted to go instead.

I will never forget you Graham, Rest In Peace my Friend gone but never forgotten.

bobc.............

Bob what matters is that you remember him where it matters most .....in your heart.

Rest in peace Graham.

Never forgotten.

Comment

blame

Bob, if you ever read the stuff I put on about londonderry, I blamed myself for years for not warning a mate about the bomb squad putting him at risk, a fatal mistake for him. So. been there, done that. Truth is, there is nothing I could have done and there is nothing different you could have done.
      He won't be blaming you, he will be resting in peace.
      Spanners do it with their tools.

Comment

Mate, I was in 14 Platoon with Graham, we went down town together after passing off the square, he was a great lad I was at the Battalion when the news came in about the accident, he’d never have wanted you to blame yourself. I’ve noticed there’s no mention of him at the cemetery in Shornecliffe but he is mentioned on the wall at the National Arboretum. He’s never forgotten here either.

Comment

Comment

As always GBNF.

Comment

Graham's name is listed on the armed forces Roll of Honour. He was laid to rest in Bridlington Cemetery.
              Rest easy.
              You cannot fight a war with one hand tied behind your back.

Comment

Be who you are and say what you feel...
                Because those that matter, don't mind.
                And those that mind, don't matter!

Comment

We will always remember them
                  Spanners do it with their tools.

Comment

Working...
                  X