Announcement

Collapse

Contact details

Effective today, the contact details for the Northern Ireland Veterans' Association have changed to the following

The Secretary
57 Mortimer Street,
Derby.

DE24 8FX

Email: membership@nivets.org.uk
Web: www.nivets.org.uk
Mob: 07368 293729

NIVA Administration.
See more
See less

15th June 1988 - Lisburn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Always remembered.
      jigsawged
      Administrator, & NIVA Newshound
      Last edited by jigsawged; 05-06-2017, 08:11 AM.
      “Some must be warriors, that others may live in peace. ”
      ― Mercedes Lackey

Comment

2008 my last posting on this, does not mean they are forgotten, as long as there is NIVA they will be remembered.
        Spanners do it with their tools.

Comment

Part of the planned route for the 2019 commemoration march at Lisburn will pass the memorial to this tragedy. A salute will be rendered.
          You cannot fight a war with one hand tied behind your back.

Comment

St Helens Cemetery.
            Attached Files
            Time to spare, go by air!

Comment

Be who you are and say what you feel...
              Because those that matter, don't mind.
              And those that mind, don't matter!

Comment

It's the 30th anniversary next week, Friday 15th, of the Lisburn "Fun Run" atrocity. I've been given kind permission to place a simple wooden RBL cross for my former friend and colleague, 24678005 LCpl Derrick "Des" Green RAOC and pay my respects at the British Embassy (Bangkok) war memorial however I don't want to offend/open old wounds for Des's family - does anyone please know how to contact them and find out if this is OK with them? If they agree, I might also be able to ask a few other RBL and/or Veterans to join.

Thanks and respects to all those affected by that terrible day.

Comment

I don't think you need to concern yourself about offending the family mate. In my experience, families are more than pleased their lad is being Remembered, more so when it happens in far away places. I'd just carry on if I were you.
                  There's something arranged next Friday in Lisburn as a new memorial has been sourced and its to be unveiled at around the same time as the bomb went off. We have NIVA members over there who will be attending as well as old friends and hopefully families of the victims. I can arrange for word to be passed on to the families about what you are trying to arrange where you are. I'm sure they will be pretty chuffed about that.
                  Jock2413
                  Site Guardian
                  Last edited by Jock2413; 06-06-2018, 08:30 PM.
                  You cannot fight a war with one hand tied behind your back.

Comment

Comment

Cheers Jock, will press on - I've also posted/applied on the FB RAOC Staff Clerks' Page so (pending Admin approval) will try to get a few other local RBL members and hopefully make Des's family proud.

Comment

I attended the Memorial service on the following Saturday and was pleasantly surprised at the large turnout of the civilian population. During the service, six swallows swooped and screamed just above head height, it was very moving to have been part of the service.
                        R.I.P. We will remember them.
                        I've bent & beaten my way round a multitude of vehicles, sometimes I won & sometimes they won.

Comment

We will not forget them.
                          Spanners do it with their tools.

Comment

Comment

In memory of Private David James McCahill
                              The Gloucestershire Regiment.
                              In memory of Gunner William John Marks
                              91st Field Regiment. The Royal Artillery.

Comment

The ROSM of the local (Bangkok) British embassy very kindly allowed me to pay my respects, and took the photos, today for LCpl "Des" Green RAOC. Respect and commiserations to all those affected - LRIP and Lest We Forget.Holding plaque.jpgPlacing plaque.jpgPlaque with poppies.jpgSaluting.jpgStanding to attention.jpgThoughtful pause.jpg

Comment

Working...
                                X