Announcement

Collapse

Contact details

Effective today, the contact details for the Northern Ireland Veterans' Association have changed to the following

The Secretary
57 Mortimer Street,
Derby.

DE24 8FX

Email: membership@nivets.org.uk
Web: www.nivets.org.uk
Mob: 07368 293729

NIVA Administration.
See more
See less

Capt Robert Laurence Nairac GC GRENADIER GUARDS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rest in Peace Captain Nairac, we will remember you.

Comment

A very brave man indeed! RIP Sir!
      SALUTE.

Comment

Always remembered.

Comment

Originally posted by slapper View Post
          I once met Bob Nairac in Belfast. We gave him the pre ops 'Grand Tour'.The GDG were taking over from 2 Para, and he was in the advance party. Never saw a Rupert with so much get up and go.
          Sadly missed. RIP.
          Yes, I served under Robert Nairac (Lt. at that time), during our tour in the Ardoyne. I can't give enough praise for the man, an approachable, down to earth officer (not the stereotypical Guards officer), who unselfishly put others before himself. He did so much for catholic credence, unlike those who would murder and maim in the name of their religious beliefs. On another matter, in 2004, I met a gentleman from 2 para, whom I hadn't seen since then. Its a small world, but there would be easily enough room for men like Robert Nairac.

Comment

...o7o7o7

Comment

Just like to say that Robert Nairac was never in the SAS.

Comment

Like you probably feel Jimmy, I wish that particular mis-rumour had been put to bed years ago. I personally blame the media. Most authors now accept the fact that he wasn't a member of that Regiment. I was told that he may have been a member of an early version of the FRU, but of course that too may just have been a rumour. What is hard to understand is why he was allowed to swan around on his own without proper back up....unless he did have and somehow they dropped the ball and it was covered up.
                Doubtless, he was a very brave man, but in the cold light of day, you really have to ask the question.

R.I.P.
                Jock2413
                Site Guardian
                Last edited by Jock2413; 01-11-2010, 04:24 AM.
                You cannot fight a war with one hand tied behind your back.

Comment

I served with him in Bessbrook and you are right with the words Swan about. He was brave but i feel misguided I dropped him off in Newry all dressed up so he could go to the Republican Club! I wrote a poem about him and the powers that be. Terrible thing. Know your Enemy. The Irish are brave people many served in the British Army in all different countries hold VCs. Read your history and know them. They are ruthless. The fat cats sit in London play pianos and sail little boats and put the pound in yer pocket. They don't care about you even today. Must not get hung up on this keep moving. His tormentor still roams about at this time.

Comment

Working...
                  X