Announcement

Collapse

Contact details

Effective today, the contact details for the Northern Ireland Veterans' Association have changed to the following

The Secretary
57 Mortimer Street,
Derby.

DE24 8FX

Email: membership@nivets.org.uk
Web: www.nivets.org.uk
Mob: 07368 293729

NIVA Administration.
See more
See less

15th August 1945

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 15th August 1945

Today is the 65th anniversary of Victory over Japan day.

They were the "Forgotten Army"

The survivors of the Horror camps are few now only one left in my town.

Today I leave a Poppy in their memory at our town memorial,

Rest in Peace

Nice thought PC. The 14th were in fact really forgotten, both during and after the war. My uncle was in the Burma Star Association until he passed away, spending three years in the jungles of India and Burma.

Comment

My uncle spent three and a half years as a prisoner of the Japanese at Changi. He never forgave the Japanese for their inhumane treatment. When the first Chinese restaurant opened in Perth around 1958, apparently my uncle walked past a bit drunk one night, saw the oriental faces and writing and had a major flashback. He half wrecked the place. He was arrested and some understanding judge sentenced him to three months.
      My uncle never really recovered from his wartime ordeal and died at the age of 40. My auntie later told me he died cursing the name of General Percival, the officer who surrendered the Singapore garrison in 1942.
      Ironically, when the family got the news of his death, we were stationed in Singapore.

Pte D.R. Davidson Ex Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders

R.I.P.
      You cannot fight a war with one hand tied behind your back.

Comment

R.I.P

Percival was an absolute to**er. He had a full Army, millions of rounds of ammunition, two batteries of 15 inch guns, (and yes, they could traverse inland), so he surrendered without a fight!! In doing so he condemned thousands of men to a living hell.

Comment

Percival survived the war living in relative luxury. When the official Japanese surrender took place aboard USS Missouri in Tokyo bay, he was present. When MacArthur put his signature to the Japanese surrender document, he openly gave the pen he used to Percival.
          You cannot fight a war with one hand tied behind your back.

Comment

Working...
          X