Announcement

Collapse

Contact details

Effective today, the contact details for the Northern Ireland Veterans' Association have changed to the following

The Secretary
57 Mortimer Street,
Derby.

DE24 8FX

Email: membership@nivets.org.uk
Web: www.nivets.org.uk
Mob: 07368 293729

NIVA Administration.
See more
See less

Sgt. Ian Mutch, 1st Bn Gordon Highlanders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sgt. Ian Mutch, 1st Bn Gordon Highlanders

I shall be away in Blandford for our annual RSA reunion on Friday 18 June, the anniversary of Ian's death, so I wanted to post in good time for remembrance.

Always remembered, always loved. A wonderful husbnd and a great father to Andrew and Fiona who were ages 7 and 3 when he was killed by an IRA bomb in Lurgan, Co Armagh. The other two soldiers killed with Ian were L/Cpl Colin Lesley and Sgt Major Arthur Macmillan. May they rest in peace.

Merc.
    GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS AND KEEP THEM SAFE

Our thoughts will be with you at this time Merc.

Always remembered.

R.I.P.
    You cannot fight a war with one hand tied behind your back.

Comment

Rest in peace.
      "Any statements I make while using this website are purely of my own opinion and are not to be construed as statements of fact and are not said with any intended malice. My opinions are a reflection of my earned right to freedom of expression and speech and do not necessarily reflect that of NIVA."
      Sic transit gloria mundi

Comment

Rest in Peace.
        Thoughts n prayers are with you Mercury

Comment

Lest we forget

Comment

rest in peace.
            wee mac

Smallest man in NATO. ascendit stilla, numquam vastate duplici

Comment

rest in peace,

Comment

REST IN PEACE Our thoughts are with you on this day Mercury.. Rob and Marie.
                Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war,
                Once a Poacher always a Poacher.

Comment

The name Ian Mutch, seemed familiar and I didnt know why - but one of the soldiers killed that day - Sgt Major Arthur Macmillan - was my uncle Mac - he was married to my mums sister so now I know why I have a memory of the name.

RIP Uncle Mac, Ian and Colin
                  Suaviter in Modo Fortiter in Re

Gentle in Manner Resolute in Deed

Comment

Lori, I knew your aunt and uncle very well. Being part of a battalion you are part of the 'family' and when posted you go as a whole and you become close to each other, much closer than those in a Corps. Those three deaths in one day shook the battalion family to the core and I don't believe they ever really got over it, just like us.

Mercury

Comment

Merc and Lori. Here's a musical tribute for both of you. I hope you don't mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBWUa5IxJy0
                      You cannot fight a war with one hand tied behind your back.

Comment

Originally posted by Jock2413 View Post
                        Merc and Lori. Here's a musical tribute for both of you. I hope you don't mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBWUa5IxJy0
                        Why thank you Jock - that was lovely

Comment

Originally posted by Mercury View Post
                          Lori, I knew your aunt and uncle very well. Being part of a battalion you are part of the 'family' and when posted you go as a whole and you become close to each other, much closer than those in a Corps. Those three deaths in one day shook the battalion family to the core and I don't believe they ever really got over it, just like us.

Mercury
                          I was only 14 at the time and I still remember as if it was yesterday when we had a knock on the door from a neighbour (their son was a member of the battalion and got the news to us really quickly) and then the drive through the night to be with my Auntie Joan.

I wonder did you know my grandfather John Massie too?

Comment

Thanks Jock.

Lori, the name sounds familiar. Was he a member of the sergeant's mess? Big chap, dark hair?

Merc.

Comment

I do not know how or what to say except, a belated condolence to you Merc.
                              Honest to god, hand on heart, reading what you put on here has made me for the first time, have tears in my eyes.
                              I know we have lost many good people through the troubles and i always have a heavy heart when i see what has been written on here but your thread is, well, i am lost for words and i will say a pray for your great loss.
                              God bless your children and yourself Merc.

andy
                              79 Squadron RCT The most Elite regiment of the british army

sigpic
                              Taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Comment

Working...
                              X