Announcement

Collapse

Contact details

Effective today, the contact details for the Northern Ireland Veterans' Association have changed to the following

The Secretary
57 Mortimer Street,
Derby.

DE24 8FX

Email: membership@nivets.org.uk
Web: www.nivets.org.uk
Mob: 07368 293729

NIVA Administration.
See more
See less

The Droppin Well bombing. December 6, 1982,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry if the pun mistress offended anybody but PTSD has invaded my marriage so much that is what it feels like, an invisible 3rd person, who dictates to us what we can and can't do.
    No need to say sorry . We all have nicked names for it . Black Dog, Black Cloud, The Black Room , The faraway corner . So you have added another name that helps people to face the problem

Comment

Absolutely no need to apologise for what you said Sarah ... I thought it was a very moving, open and honest comment.

No need to knock or ring the bell ...... just pop in and join us at any time.

Comment

No apology neeed.....you're welcome here anytime. I know sometimes that we seem a little irreverant and jokey but those on here have hearts of gold.

Comment

welcome sarah, its nice to see another lady around we are multiplying slowly but surely and like the lads have said feel free to join in the banter anytime

lest we forget
          In memory of Sgt Anthony Stephen Butcher
          my dad my hero
          sua tela tonanti
          tree number 2995

babybio18@nivets.org.uk

Comment

Ok guys get the no more Sorries.

I wear my heart on my sleeve, and if I can help anyone as much as people have helped me, Im then happy.

spk soon

regards
            sarah

Comment

Welcome Sarah to the best home bar none enjoy the banter were always here for each other enjoy...

Comment

Once again, like every year, we remember our fallen comrades.

Comment

rememberance

We will not forget them, they live on in us.
                  Spanners do it with their tools.

Comment

I REMEMBER IT WELL MANY OF THE GIRLS WHO DIED THAT DAY HAVE ALLWAYS BEEN IN MY THOUGHTS ESPECIALLY RUTH DIXON WHO I KNEW VERY WELL EVERY ARGYLL WOULD HAVE DONE ANY THING TO HAVE COME BACK & GAVE THE SCUMBAGS THE GOOD NEWS 10 RAPID TO THE HEAD

Comment

Once more WE REMEMBER THEM

bobc.............

Comment

REMEMBER

I WILL ALLWAYS REMEMBER THEM ALL THE DAYS OF MY LIFE

Comment

rememberance

And THAT is a good thing mate, we will not forget and will not let them be forgotten.
                          Spanners do it with their tools.

Comment

Hi Guys
                            just got back today from Ballykelly this afty, it was another emotional weekend.
                            It was the Droppin well re-dedication service as well as the Memorial service
                            They have now moved the memorial stones, just behind the church ( memorial garden).
                            Taffy will tell you more.

Sarah

Comment

Hi Folks,

As my better half Sarah (Saztaffy) has explained, just got back from sunny NI today.

Will update you all on our trip with a humourous version and the more somber tribute. Good to be back home spk soon.

Hendy, need to spk buddy re Ruth. Have some news as both of us knew Ruth, will pm you soon buddy.

Wait out.

Taffy

Comment

The 26th Droppin Well Memorial Service & Dedication of Memorial Garden, 7th December 2008

On the 7th December 2008 a memorial service was held at Tamlaghtfinlagan Parish Church, Ballykelly to commemorate the 26th anniversary of the DroppinWell Public Hse bombing on 6th Dec 1982 by the INLA.

Due to Shackleton Barracks in Ballykelly being sold off to develop a housing complex, it was decided that the memorial stone should be moved from the military base to the local church.

The memorial and re-dedication service was attended by relatives who lost loved ones from both civilian and military circles. They were accompanied by the Lord Lieutenant of Londonderry, The Bishop of Londonderry and a number of senior military figures serving and former officers all connected with the 1Bn 22 Cheshire regiment who lost 8 members of the regiment, along with 2 members of the Army Catering Corps and one member of the Light Infantry.

A good friend of mine from the CRA, Cheshire Regimental Association will be sending me the complete set of photos taken by a local news reporter. Once I have the piccies I will add one or two to this thread for you all to see the new memorial garden. The UDR memorial stone sits along side the DroppinWell stone in the memorial garden which is a very tranquil place for both so that anyone can visit without having to gain permission and access to Shackleton Bks as in previous years.

I remember at last yrs visit by Mrs. Taffy (Saztaffy) and I it took several of the Cheshire lads to help me cross the nightmarish threshold of the pub for the 1st time since the incident. This year I was able to repay the compliment with a good pal who was visiting for the 1st time this year. It took him several attempts, the same as it did me last yr to enter the pub and visit the disco area. Once there we spent some time remembering a few of the horrible events from that night. But the rewarding thing was remembering the good times with our buddies and the local girls we all knew.

On the night of Sat 6th this year I took a very heart breaking walk to the pub on my own at 2215hrs. Once in the bar on the right side of the pub I supped one pint of Guinness and a large bushmills for dutch courage. Then I went through to the other bar closest to the disco area. With a pint of Guinness and a large bush in hand I took a slow walk through the narrow corridor to the disco area doors. I was met by two burly doormen who explained that within the next hour a party was starting for one of the local lads. One of the doormen recognized me from last yr, offered his hand and told me I could take as much time in the disco hall as I wanted. Once inside I spent some time remembering where people were sat when the bomb went off. I had just opened the toilet door when I ended up covered in rubble on the night. Having got out of the rubble I ended up treating a casualty with major leg injuries.
                                (Paused to mop up tears off my keyboard)
                                For 25yrs I have been having a nightmare about this casualty not knowing whether they survived or not, my nightmare also convinced me that it was one of the lads. Last year at the 25th anniversary I found out that it was in fact one of the local girls who I was treating, she DID survive and for over the past year I’ve met members of the family and we now keep in touch.

Back to the pub. I spent the best part of 45mins remembering, crying and sometimes laughing about memories from that night. I wanted to be there at the exact time the explosion happened. At just before 11pm I toasted our brothers and sisters lost and vowed to always toast and remember them for all time.

On leaving the disco area the doorman and I chatted for a few minutes. The thing that amazed both of us was how far the community had come in 26yrs. We shook hands and hugged to confirm that we both respected each others side of things. For those of you who know the local area you may be surprised to hear that the doorman and I had closed the divide between us the military and the area of Greysteel for at least one evening. Paul (The doorman) lost friends that night, even though he is Catholic and from Greysteel we both shared a moment of grief and remembrance on Sat night. Having paid my respects and dues I made my way back to my patient wife in the hotel. I’d been waiting 26yrs to be at the spot and time that it happened. Hopefully it may lead to another jigsaw piece being put in place as part of my healing process for my ‘monsters’ as I call them.

Thanks for listening folks and reading my personal acct of the more somber side of mine and Sarah’s trip this year to Ballykelly.

WE WILL REMEMBER THEM

Comment

Working...
                                X