Announcement

Collapse

Contact details

Effective today, the contact details for the Northern Ireland Veterans' Association have changed to the following

The Secretary
57 Mortimer Street,
Derby.

DE24 8FX

Email: membership@nivets.org.uk
Web: www.nivets.org.uk
Mob: 07368 293729

NIVA Administration.
See more
See less

The Droppin Well bombing. December 6, 1982,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

• NIVA helped me cope with my guilt and the one thing I have done and why I still stick around is, as Stevie said... forgiven myself. Thanks all.
      Visit tree 49/189 @ the NMA and say hello.

Comment

• Stevie,

If I had the money and wished to reopen it would it be welcomed?

Might and might!

bean.

Im going for a look again this weekend with my family to see what the potential is.

Comment

• Whatever you decide to do, do with the right 'head' on Bean - and in this climate it has to be the cold, realistic business head.

It is a possibility for growth - if the hotel development intended for the Causeway coast is not held up, a revived Droppin' Well may gain some trade due to an influx for the golf, but I would look long and hard before letting your heart make a decision your pocket might regret.

Can I suggest something? If you really want to make a mark, something to remember the Fallen by, see if there is a memorial to the atrocity or one to those killed in the area. There was one built in Kilkeel for those killed in S Armagh - it might prove to be enough of a tribute if you could assist in having one built in a suitable location.

Something to consider.

Comment

• The well is in the hands of the bank atm. Not sure on the plans but i kow that a contractor has been gutting it on the banks behalf.

Ref the hotel for the causeway coast, this will have no impact in bring people to drink in the well, its a distance away from each other. Portrush is closer, and with the Irish open on soon, nothing could have helped the well say open. Its a big gamble imo to take on the bar as BEAN as mentioned, i welcome anyone that thinks they can reopen it as a bar, but i feel it will need more than memories to make a go of it. Economics have seen a decline of punters go there which led to the closure, money is not about to spend as it was 30 years ago.
            A Naffi bar with all the influx of new tenants in the army housing would be a better bet, just!

Im from Ballykelly, hoping that the bar is reopened and rename the "Well" before the 30th anniversary, but i feel it will still be closed as said previous, its a quiet area with an hotel and another bar there.

It holds a lot of memories and nightmares for me personally, locals never talk about the bomb, this generation dont even know it happened, but its in the front of my mind every day.

There is a memorial in the village which will host the 30th anniversary in dec, moved from the barracks to the Tamlaght church grounds before the troops moved out.

I joined this forum a while ago to follow the posts on the well, and to add my input, but i never could finish the articles i started - with the pain i was going through.
            It took me 28 years before the pain finally took its toll, but hopefully im getting better and stronger each day since a had a breakdown in late 2010.

My Story:
            I was working behind the bar that night, and still have the nightmare and memories. Everyday i wonder why i survived and PAT didnt?
            Its good to read the posts about the well, the thoughts on the people that died and also the memories that we as survivors have to cope with.
            Hopefully i can reply to others as the time comes closer to DEC, and i may even meet some of you at the memorial this year.
            I will update the situation details on the WELL if and when i hear whats happening to it.

Martin

Comment

• Originally posted by Bean View Post
              I am, at this moment writing a letter to a certain Mrs Cooke. I have never met the lady, and probably I never will, but it is important for me to tell her what her daughter said to me that evening. I of course, couldnt be arsed with words that night, there were people dying after all and I didnt have time for all that sh1t.

For 29 years I have struggled with the words that brave young girl said to me, she was by far the bravest person I knew that night. She was 21, beautiful (ask anyone) and bright as a button when it came to squaddie "put-downs". She was as I have stated elsewhere, way above me in the food chain but there she was with her insides out for want of a better expression.

She simply said to me "Paul, tell my mummy I love her".......thats why I have to tell Mrs Cooke her daughters last words to me!!

Bean

......now dry your eyes you sad lot........live with it as I do.

The fact that she called me Paul made me cry that evening!
              Bean,

Mr and Mrs Cooke have since passed on. Granny Cooke (as i called her) she was my dads Aunt and i never left the cookes site. Its good to know that Pat had a friend to comfort her at that time and i know Granny would have loved to have met and spook to you. They never got over the lost and i know today that Pats brother is going through a tormented time, they would simply be happy to know Pat was in good hands. This has also helped me a little but knowing Pat she put a lot of you "squaddies" in your place in her very kind and polite manners :) with a goode knock back line...

Cheers

Comment

• how spooky to be reading your post my wife was at the drop inn well that night and has just shown me a picture of valerie she was freinds with her you may remember betty smyth we took over from the cheshire,s in 84 she told me about it but she tends to keep it in i have offered to take her to the remebrace services but she wont go so i dont push her i let her deal with it in her own way she wouldnt even claim a penny of which she was entitled saying there was worse off than me that night she has a point i suposse thats why we are still toghether 28 years later she,s made of strong stuff god love her

Comment

Working...
                X