Announcement

Collapse

Contact details

Effective today, the contact details for the Northern Ireland Veterans' Association have changed to the following

The Secretary
57 Mortimer Street,
Derby.

DE24 8FX

Email: membership@nivets.org.uk
Web: www.nivets.org.uk
Mob: 07368 293729

NIVA Administration.
See more
See less

British soldier killed in an explosion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• British soldier killed in an explosion

A British soldier killed in an explosion while on foot patrol in southern Afghanistan has been named as Rifleman Mark Turner.

The 21-year-old, from 3rd Battalion The Rifles, was killed by an Improvised Explosive Device (IED) in the Kajaki area of Helmand province, the Ministry of Defence said.
    His family has been informed.
    Major Mike Lynch, Officer Commanding C Company, 3 Rifles, said: "Rifleman Turner, Turtle to his mates, was one of the bravest men I have ever had the pleasure of working alongside.
    "He had an inner bravery which made it even more humbling. He epitomised everything you could ever ask for in a Rifleman: selfless, warm hearted, and extremely professional."
    The soldier is the first British serviceman to die in the remote and mountainous area of Kajaki this year.
    The region is known for its dam which provides electricity to Helmand and parts of Kandahar.
    British soldiers in the area man the mountain peaks above the dam to keep watch over the area and to try to create a small pocket of security.
    The threat from IEDs means using routes through the area is fraught with danger.
    The death takes the number of British service personnel killed in action since operations began in Afghanistan in 2001 to 247.
    The total number of deaths, including sickness and accidents, stands at 280.

REST EASY SOLDIER

RIP a brave and steadfast soldier.

We will always remember.

Comment

R.I.P. Lad
      We Will Remember Them.
      You cannot fight a war with one hand tied behind your back.

Comment

R.I.P We Will Remember Them

bobc............

Comment

Working...
        X