Announcement

Collapse

Contact details

Effective today, the contact details for the Northern Ireland Veterans' Association have changed to the following

The Secretary
57 Mortimer Street,
Derby.

DE24 8FX

Email: membership@nivets.org.uk
Web: www.nivets.org.uk
Mob: 07368 293729

NIVA Administration.
See more
See less

Soldier dies of wounds at Selly Oak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soldier dies of wounds at Selly Oak

Soldier dies of wounds at Selly Oak

A Military Operations news article

16 Mar 10

http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/De...AtSellyOak.htm

It is with sadness that the Ministry of Defence must announce the death of a soldier from 1st Battalion The Royal Anglian Regiment, serving as part of the Household Cavalry Regiment Battle Group, on Monday 15 March 2010 from wounds sustained in Afghanistan.

Ministry of Defence

The soldier died at the Royal Centre for Defence Medicine at Selly Oak Hospital yesterday evening as a result of wounds sustained in an explosion which occurred in the Musa Qal'ah district of Helmand province on the morning of 21 February 2010.
    Spokesman for Task Force Helmand, Lieutenant Colonel David Wakefield, said:
    "It is with sadness I must inform you that one of our comrades succumbed to his wounds last night in Selly Oak Hospital.

"He was from 1st Battalion The Royal Anglian Regiment, serving as part of the Household Cavalry Regiment Battle Group, and had been seriously wounded in an explosion in the Musa Qal'ah district of Helmand province during the morning of 21 February 2010.

"It happened while he was on a patrol to the north of Musa Qal'ah district centre, part of the ongoing successful operations in the Musa Qal'ah area to drive the insurgents away from the local people and away from the district centre.

"He was one of us, one of our own, who fell doing his duty; we will remember him."
    Next of kin have been informed and have asked for a period of grace before further details are released.
    This death was not connected to Operation MOSHTARAK.

WE WILL REMEMBER THEM

bobc....................

R.I.P.

We Will Remember Them
    You cannot fight a war with one hand tied behind your back.

Comment

Rest now.
      We will Remember

Comment

Rest easy soldier

We will remember them

Comment

I am saddened whenever I see reports of another fatality to one of our forces, of course.
          But this one unexpectedly brought me to tears.
          You sort of get a feeling inside that if a casualty is given immediate first aid, the best medical assistance as a follow-up, and is then sent home to a hospital in the UK, that things will be alright.
          A stupid assumption I know, but that feeling (hope?) persists.
          This soldier fought his injuries for three weeks, only to succumb to his wounds.........
          Rest at last, your duty is done.

Comment

RIP

Condolences to his family and friends

Comment

Working...
            X