Announcement

Collapse

Contact details

Effective today, the contact details for the Northern Ireland Veterans' Association have changed to the following

The Secretary
57 Mortimer Street,
Derby.

DE24 8FX

Email: membership@nivets.org.uk
Web: www.nivets.org.uk
Mob: 07368 293729

NIVA Administration.
See more
See less

Sad October

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sad October

Someone kick me (hard) for forgetting to post these names at the appropriate time ...... I do so now to keep their memories alive.

8th October 1977
    Pte. Margaret A. Hearst - aged 24
    2 UDR (Part Time) A Coy

Shot by the IRA when they burst into her mobile home that was in her parents garden near Middletown. Her mother and brothers were held at gunpointwhile the killers waited for her. Her 3 year old daughter was in the next room when the shooting took placeand a bullet went through the toy she had been cuddling. Her father was later murdered by the IRA in 1980.

6th October 1978
    Capt. Charles Henning - aged 51
    2 UDR (Part Time) B Coy

Shot by the IRA as he drove his lorry out of a livestock mart in Newry. He was married and was off duty at the time of his murder.

10th October 1980
    Pte. James H. Hewitt - aged 47
    2 UDR (Part Time) C Coy

Killed when an IRA booby trap exploded under his car at a stock yard. His two sons were the first on the scene. He was married with two children and off duty at the time of his murder.

7th October 1982
    L/Cpl Freddie A. Williamson
    2 UDR (Part Time) A Coy

Murdered by the INLA as he drove to work. He was not hit by bullets, but was involved in a head-on collision with another car driven by a female Prison Officer (Elizabeth Chambers). His brother, who was RUC was killed by an IRA booby trap explosion in 1993. L/Cpl Williamson was married with three children and off duty at the time of his death.

Footnote: I new Liz Chambers very well, and I'm pleased to say that her name was added to the War Memorial in her home village of Broughshane just outside our town a few years ago.

10th October 1972
    C/Sgt John Ruddy - aged 50
    3 UDR (Part Time) C Coy

Shot by the IRA as he left home to walk to his office in Newry. His wife witnessed his murder. He was married with nine children and was off duty at the time of his murder.

15th October 1979
    Cpl Herbie G. Kernaghan - aged 36
    4 UDR (Part Time) C Coy

Shot by the IRA as he made his daily morning delivery run to the local Primary School. His wife gave birth to their third child two weeks after his murder. He was married with two children and off duty at the time of his murder.

6th October 1986
    Pte Martin A.J. Blaney - aged 27
    8 UDR (Part Time) A Coy

Ambushed and shot by the IRA as he drove home to Eglish. The IRA hi-jacked a car and held the family for six hours. They then forced their way into a neighbour of Martin's and where they held a woman and her Widowed mother at gunpoint. Martin was single and off duty at the time of his murder.

16th October 1973
    Pte Thomas Forsythe
    9 UDR (Part Time) D Coy

Killed in a tragic shooting incident while on duty.
    ** Pte Forsythe was actually murdered by a Soldier from an English based Regiment.

14th October 1972
    Pte Terence Maguire - aged 23
    10 UDR (Part Time)

He said goodnight to his girlfriend in Belfast. His body was later found in an alleyway, shot in the head. He was single and off duty at the time of his murder.

3rd October 1973
    Mr. Ivan Vennard - aged32
    Ex UDR

Shot dead by the IRA while carrying out his postal deliveries. at Kilwilkie, Lurgan, Co. Armagh. Mr. Vennard had previously served in the Ulster Defence Regiment, but had left the Regiment.

5th October 1979
    Mr. George Hawthorne - aged 37
    Ex UDR

Shot dead by the IRA as he drove his car into a car park in Newry. Mr. Hawthorne had previously served in the Ulster Defence Regiment, but had left the Regiment.

5th October 1981
    Mr. Hector Hall - aged 22
    Ex UDR

Shot dead by the IRA outside Altnagelvin Hospital in Londonderry.

1st October 1982
    Mr. John Eagleson
    Ex UDR

He left the Ulster Defence Regiment to join the RUC Reserve, and was murdered by an IRA gunman as he rode his motorbike to work.

5th October 1982
    Mr. Charles Crothers - aged 54
    Ex UDR

He had left the Ulster Defence Regiment and was working as a security guard with Western HQ of the Water Service at Altnagelvin in Londonderry when he was shot by the IRA. He was married with four children at the time of his murder.

8th October 1984
    Mr. Melvin Simpson - aged 40
    Ex UDR

He had left the Ulster Defence Regiment and was working at a building site in Ann Street, Dungannon, when he was murdered by the IRA.

Lest We Forget

WE WILL REMEMBER THEM

Comment

Lest we forget
      Andy
      If Harry Black can't fix it . . . . . its fcuked

And he can't fix me

Comment

So many names . We shall never forget them .They stood while others walk away.

Comment

We Will Remember Them

Comment

WE WILL REMEMBER THEM R.I.P

Comment

Will never forget......RIP
              John
              Royal Corps of Transport
              .......Be the Best

Comment

At this time of year the names fall like the autumn leaves.

RIP. We will never forget them.

Comment

lest we forget
                  In memory of Sgt Anthony Stephen Butcher
                  my dad my hero
                  sua tela tonanti
                  tree number 2995

babybio18@nivets.org.uk

Comment

WE WILL REMEMBER THEM

Comment

Thanks for remembering Jimmy.

We will never forget them.

Comment

R.I.P.

Comment

Thanks for putting them up Jimmy it helps to remind us of what the IRA were realy about and how low they sank . WE SHALL REMEMBER THEM.
                          Alll the 444444444's the Pompadours !

If at first you don't succeed give up and let some other mug do it .

Comment

will it ever end
                            R.I.P
                            stand easy

Comment

Working...
                            X