Announcement

Collapse

Contact details

Effective today, the contact details for the Northern Ireland Veterans' Association have changed to the following

The Secretary
57 Mortimer Street,
Derby.

DE24 8FX

Email: membership@nivets.org.uk
Web: www.nivets.org.uk
Mob: 07368 293729

NIVA Administration.
See more
See less

Cpl Ian Biddy - Birkenhead Cemetery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cpl Ian Biddy - Birkenhead Cemetery

Hi Guys,
    I went to the cemetery today and checked with the records office on site for the burial plot.
    They gave me RC4 Grave 107.

I went to the location and found grave 107, but as you will see in the photo it is not Cpl Ian Biddy....
    I returned to the records office, and they gave me the paper (attached) and said he is buried there.

But as you will see from the photos, there is no mention of Cpl Biddy?

Waiting for further instructions?

Birkenhead Cemetery 001.jpgDSCN0598.jpgDSCN0599.jpg

Regards ex

Could that be grandparents grave and his ashes buried there, and no one put his name on there?

Comment

Sorry, but the records office could not answer on the circumstances, they only replied 'maybe they were related?'

Comment

carry on soldier, you are trying your best and it is appreciated.
        Spanners do it with their tools.

Comment

Originally posted by spanner View Post
          carry on soldier, you are trying your best and it is appreciated.

Comment

There seems to be a bit of confusion, not at our end, about this lad's surname. According to the MoD and our records, his surname is Bibby. This agrees with the burial records. But the coroner has listed him as Biddy. There is no record of any service person with that surname dying in service so I think we can take it as read that his name is Bibby. The burial location is correct according to my research and again this is confirmed by the MoD.
            So we appear to have a mystery and accepting that the location is correct, we may have to assume that the lad was cremated and his ashes laid with whom I assume, given the dates and ages, his grand parents.
            You cannot fight a war with one hand tied behind your back.

Comment

I looked up the phone book and searched Bibby in Birkenhead and a R.Bibby came up, would one of the admin try to contact this person to see if they are a relation and try to find out the details of this grave location, who knows, this could lead to a request for a MoD headstone to be erected on his grave.

Comment

R.Bibby (0151) 638 2558.
                M.Bibby-Brooke (0151) 647 0248.

Comment

Originally posted by eelpieisland View Post
                  I looked up the phone book and searched Bibby in Birkenhead and a R.Bibby came up, would one of the admin try to contact this person to see if they are a relation and try to find out the details of this grave location, who knows, this could lead to a request for a MoD headstone to be erected on his grave.
                  The plot thickens, but if the existing grave plot and stone is correct, the placing of a MOD head stone might be difficult, perhaps his name engraved on the back of the existing headstone might be appropriate....

Comment

I dont think it is our place to go round questioning people as to why they have not got a marker placed where we can easily find it, or who have not included the name on a family stone that is already in place.

Comment

Good point... Perhaps just keep it logged as is?

Comment

"perhaps his name engraved on the back of the existing headstone might be appropriate."

Once a wedgehead always a wedgehead eh, bit too eager there with yer hammer and chisel to start engraving are we?
                        "What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist.”
                        Salman Rushdie

Comment

Originally posted by damoclese View Post
                          "perhaps his name engraved on the back of the existing headstone might be appropriate."

Once a wedgehead always a wedgehead eh, bit too eager there with yer hammer and chisel to start engraving are we?
                          Had my safety goggles on as well H&S you know...

Comment

"Had my safety goggles on as well H&S you know"

Do you have to bring sordid details of your sex life onto the site
                            "What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist.”
                            Salman Rushdie

Comment

Originally posted by damoclese View Post
                              "Had my safety goggles on as well H&S you know"

Do you have to bring sordid details of your sex life onto the site
                              Only sordid if you wear a hard hat!

Comment

Working...
                              X