Announcement

Collapse

Contact details

Effective today, the contact details for the Northern Ireland Veterans' Association have changed to the following

The Secretary
57 Mortimer Street,
Derby.

DE24 8FX

Email: membership@nivets.org.uk
Web: www.nivets.org.uk
Mob: 07368 293729

NIVA Administration.
See more
See less

County Burial Locations.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another one in Middlesborough, Cleveland has been traced. Details on the list if anyone can get it.
    You cannot fight a war with one hand tied behind your back.

Comment

Jock, I know several of us are on the "op banner photos" site , I'm sure someone there can start helping with the photos.

Comment

I've had a few from that site already. Time is against us at the moment because we are having to concentrate preparing the ROH for display on a large screen during the Lisburn event. There will also be a hard copy on display at a church in Lisburn town centre. Each entry will have an A4 page of info about the victim. This has been very time consuming. At present, it is taking up about 6 hours a day in front of the computer and I still have a fair way to go. Both Soup76 and another member of the planning group have been working on this with Soup doing the UDR/RI/NIPS/civilian employees and family victims, the other lad, Alan, doing the RUC/PSNI all causes and I got the Tri services victims. See the example below.

94th Regiment RA
        24181317 Gunner ROBERT GEORGE CURTIS
        (Photograph of Curtis)

Gunner Curtis was a 20 year old married soldier from Newcastle. On 5th January 1971, he deployed with his unit 156(Inkerman) Battery of 94 Locating Regiment under the command of 32 Regiment RA for a 4 month tour of duty. For the first month of the tour, the Battery was based at Bessbrook in South Armagh carrying out border patrol duties.
        During the first week of February, violence erupted in most Republican areas of Belfast, and as part of the Province reserve, on the 6th February, 156 Battery was moved to HMS Maidstone which was moored at Belfast docks and was being used as temporary accommodation for troop reinforcements.
        During the evening of the same day, the violence in the Republican area of the New Lodge escalated to such an extent that the responsible unit, a company of 3rd Queen’s Regiment came under such pressure that they called for reinforcements and 156 Battery were ordered in. Because mobs of rioters in the New Lodge were threatening the bordering Protestant Tiger Bay area, the Battery was ordered to deploy along the interface to block them. A large crowd was seen to gather at the junction of New Lodge Road and Lepper Street so one of the Battery’s Troops, of which Gunner Curtis was a member, were ordered to disperse them. As the Troop moved up to the road junction, the mob attacked them with a furious barrage of stones and bottles forcing the troops to deploy in “defensive formation” using shields to protect themselves. Shortly after, a nail bomb was thrown by a terrorist which exploded in front of the shield group and immediately afterwards, the rioting mob split and a terrorist armed with a Sterling SMG stepped out and sprayed the troops with automatic fire. Five soldiers were hit by the gunfire and sadly Gunner Curtis died almost immediately from his wound.
        Gunner Curtis is officially recognized as being the first military fatality caused by terrorist action during Operation Banner.
        Robert “Geordie” Curtis is laid to rest in West Road Cemetery, Newcastle.

Attached Files
        Jock2413
        Site Guardian
        Last edited by Jock2413; 28-06-2019, 12:14 AM.

Comment

The burial stone won't be so large as displayed on here. It just came out that big when I transferred the photo.

Comment

So far, I've done about 50,000 words on the entries I've completed. Won't be far off double that when complete.

Comment

A massive undertaking.
              “Some must be warriors, that others may live in peace. ”
              ― Mercedes Lackey

Comment

Well done guys
                Fear Naught
                From mud, through blood to the green fields beyond.

Comment

August 23rd 1971 Private George Crozier 23 years old was shot & Killed while on stag in Rooftop sanger on Flax St Mill Ardoyne. The green Howards and The 15/19th Kings Royal Hussars were based at the Mill at the time.. RIP George.

Comment

Be who you are and say what you feel...
                    Because those that matter, don't mind.
                    And those that mind, don't matter!

Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• One of so many gone before his time. I was Sunnyside st then,
                            Spanners do it with their tools.

Comment

• This was how his grave looked like before its condition was highlighted by the NIVA gravewatch. So all that effort done by you lads out there has had a positive effect. Quite a few others have been given a makeover due to our efforts so its all worth while in the end.

Attached Files
                              Jock2413
                              Site Guardian
                              Last edited by Jock2413; 18-07-2019, 11:51 PM.

Comment

• P-C, PM sent and an email.

Comment

Working...
                                X