Announcement

Collapse

Contact details

Effective today, the contact details for the Northern Ireland Veterans' Association have changed to the following

The Secretary
57 Mortimer Street,
Derby.

DE24 8FX

Email: membership@nivets.org.uk
Web: www.nivets.org.uk
Mob: 07368 293729

NIVA Administration.
See more
See less

Does this incident ring any bells?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does this incident ring any bells?

Folks

I saw this post on ARSSE and wondered if anyone could throw any light on it at all -

"Bit of a conundrum for me. I vaguely recall a Green Jacket being killed from an ND in 1973 but I've never seen any record of it.

It was my first tour which was only of six weeks duration for me but I'm sure there was a message went around the battalion that someone had lost their life because they and an oppo had been practising load and unload with an SMG each while facing each other.

The magazines had rounds in them and during the fatal incident, when the weapon was cocked, the cocking handle was not drawn completely to the rear and the sear was not engaged so when the cocking handle was released, the breach block shot forward resulting in an ND.

I've never read anything anywhere about this incident which after all this time has led me to think that perhaps I may be wrong about any such incident happening. Anybody else know anything?

I'd be quite happy to find out that for whatever reason, even an imaginary one on my part, I was completely wrong about such a tragic and unnecessary death.
    "

Any information would clearly be welcome - however if it is a circumstance of some difficulty I can provide a 'sanitised' version that may give some answer to the person who posted the query.

Thanks.

Cancel my last, identified as Rifleman Nicholas Allen, 1 RGJ, 26th November 1973. RIP.

Comment

“Some must be warriors, that others may live in peace. ”
      ― Mercedes Lackey

Comment

Comment

I was in BAOR by then, you could safely put a mag on an SMG before going out but to actually cock it would be foolhardiness in the extreme. RIP Nicholas,
          Spanners do it with their tools.

Comment

Be who you are and say what you feel...
            Because those that matter, don't mind.
            And those that mind, don't matter!

Comment

Working...
            X