Announcement

Collapse

Contact details

Effective today, the contact details for the Northern Ireland Veterans' Association have changed to the following

The Secretary
57 Mortimer Street,
Derby.

DE24 8FX

Email: membership@nivets.org.uk
Web: www.nivets.org.uk
Mob: 07368 293729

NIVA Administration.
See more
See less

23687477 Sergeant Roy Edward Hills (RAOC)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 23687477 Sergeant Roy Edward Hills (RAOC)

On this day 5th December 1972, 23687477 Sergeant Roy Edward Hills (RAOC) aged 28 was was killed during a follow-up operation to clear an IRA Mark 2 improvised mortar base plate that had been used to launch a barrage of mortar bombs in an attack against Kitchen Hill Barracks in the centre of the town of Lurgan.
    Sergeant Hills was killed as he was clearing a mortar bomb that had failed to leave the muzzle of the improvised mortar tube.
    Laid to rest at Grove Park Cemetery in Lewisham, London. The headstone of Sergeant Hills reads :
    "Cherished Memories of A Very Dear Husband And Daddy. You Gave All My Darling"
    " Not Forgotten "

RIP.
    wee mac

Smallest man in NATO. ascendit stilla, numquam vastate duplici

Comment

Thank you Roy and also for all of your brave band of warriors a massive thanks for keeping all of the SF in your area safe. God bless. Stand easy..............

Comment

Be who you are and say what you feel...
        Because those that matter, don't mind.
        And those that mind, don't matter!

Comment

Always Remembered brave lad.
          Seem to be a lot of Felix anniversaries just now - it does make you think. I attended several Felix calls with the cordon, being BC's bodyguard (not in such close danger I hasten to add). I acted as radio relay on one occasion and watched as Felix became airborne from the door of a telephone kiosk in Londonderry; fortunately he survived that one with fairly minor injuries. I often wonder if I am reading a "Remembrance" of some of those true heroes I saw back then when I click on a thread like this and read it with great sadness and damp eyes.
          “Some must be warriors, that others may live in peace. ”
          ― Mercedes Lackey

Comment

In memory of Private David James McCahill
            The Gloucestershire Regiment.
            In memory of Gunner William John Marks
            91st Field Regiment. The Royal Artillery.

Comment

Visit tree 49/189 @ the NMA and say hello.

Comment

On the afternoon of 24 December 1973, I was on foot patrol in the Bogside when a pig pulled alongside and my name was called. I was handed a telegram which informed me that my then wife had given birth to a baby girl. Earlier that day, us search team members had been given an update lecture on the latest terrorist booby traps by a Sgt Felix. I remember that despite the seriousness of the subject, the lesson had been delivered with a great deal of humour and Felix was on great form. We asked him the obvious question ... "how do you manage to do the job day in and day out" His reply was "Its just a job. Your job is finding terrorist weapons and patrolling the streets ... mine is dealing with terrorist munitions and bombs."
                I was given the evening off to wet the head with some contraband whisky and during the evening I heard that there was a bomb incident in the Strand area. It turned out that 2 bombs had been planted in a building and the same Felix was in there doing his stuff when one of the bombs went off. Ignoring the danger of the second device, one of our RMAs ran into the building and tied off the remains of Felix's legs saving his life. He was later awarded an MiD for his actions. But at the time, we all thought that Felix had been killed and I was very saddened by the irony of there's me celebrating new life when a few hundred yards away another life had just been taken.
                I think of that day often now especially around this time of year.
                You cannot fight a war with one hand tied behind your back.

Comment

That makes it up close and personal for you Jock. We all had to face danger on a daily basis but to face danger knowing with absolute certainty that if things went wrong the result was likely to be severe injury or certain death just shows how courageous these men were.
                  “Some must be warriors, that others may live in peace. ”
                  ― Mercedes Lackey

Comment

Rest peacefully.
                    In memory of Colour Sergeant John Michael Morrell - my big brother, my hero.

Comment

I can recall several RMA's attending Keogh Barracks for their course and thinking 'bleeding hell God help those who need this lot' but at the end of their course they stunned us 'experts' by turning out some of the best medic's outside of the RAMC.

Comment

Lest we forget

Comment

Working...
                        X