Announcement

Collapse

Contact details

Effective today, the contact details for the Northern Ireland Veterans' Association have changed to the following

The Secretary
57 Mortimer Street,
Derby.

DE24 8FX

Email: membership@nivets.org.uk
Web: www.nivets.org.uk
Mob: 07368 293729

NIVA Administration.
See more
See less

30 June 1990

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 30 June 1990

On this day, Constable Harold Beckett & Constable Gary Meyer, two police dog handlers were murdered whilst on foot patrol in Belfast.

R.I.P lads

Attached Files
    79 Squadron RCT The most Elite regiment of the british army

sigpic
    Taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

“Some must be warriors, that others may live in peace. ”
    ― Mercedes Lackey

Comment

Visit tree 49/189 @ the NMA and say hello.

Comment

Be who you are and say what you feel...
        Because those that matter, don't mind.
        And those that mind, don't matter!

Comment

Long may they be honoured.
          Spanners do it with their tools.

Comment

Comment

Long may we remember them. Did the dogs get murdered as well and if so were they buried with their handlers?

Comment

I don't know if they had the dogs with them at the time. It happened in broad daylight in Castle Street and the place was full of shoppers.
                Rest easy lads.
                You cannot fight a war with one hand tied behind your back.

Comment

See this detailed report published today about this sad event;

http://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/reg...fast-1-6824194

Comment

Two weeks ago, I stood on the exact spot and had a silent moment. Looking at the scene of normality going on around me, it gave me a shiver when I thought of what happened there.

Comment

When I've been back and done summat similar it certainly sends a shiver down your spine, especially when t'Chicken held my hand where George was shot dead...
                      Visit tree 49/189 @ the NMA and say hello.

Comment

I don't know how this will be accepted. I mean it in the spirit of the word and not in the idiotic way I normally blunder through replies. I had an occassion to be with a guy from The RAVC and his dog. They worked as a perfect team and at the end of their duty mucked about as friends, true and proper. Could there be a thought within the association that if there is one of our canine (KIA) whilst on duty in the Province might their name be added into our ROH? Crazy I know but they did their duty as did we, only difference is the dog's didn't get a GSM. I'm not sure but I thought the RUC animals were 'celebrated' within their records. Just a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by warriordoc2 View Post
                          I don't know how this will be accepted. I mean it in the spirit of the word and not in the idiotic way I normally blunder through replies. I had an occassion to be with a guy from The RAVC and his dog. They worked as a perfect team and at the end of their duty mucked about as friends, true and proper. Could there be a thought within the association that if there is one of our canine (KIA) whilst on duty in the Province might their name be added into our ROH? Crazy I know but they did their duty as did we, only difference is the dog's didn't get a GSM. I'm not sure but I thought the RUC animals were 'celebrated' within their records. Just a thought.
                          Chris I would imagine the dogs we had inside the Maze would have all been put down. They were absolutely frightening and mad creatures. We had orders that we had to shoot the dog IMMEDIATELY if one turned on it's handler. These war dogs were like nothing I have ever seen before nor since.

Comment

I would not like being compared to a dumb animal. And that is NOT meant as a joke.

Comment

I can't find it at the moment, but I'm sure there is a mention by name on site of an A&ES dog who died alongside his handler.

Comment

Working...
                              X