Announcement

Collapse

Contact details

Effective today, the contact details for the Northern Ireland Veterans' Association have changed to the following

The Secretary
57 Mortimer Street,
Derby.

DE24 8FX

Email: membership@nivets.org.uk
Web: www.nivets.org.uk
Mob: 07368 293729

NIVA Administration.
See more
See less

dhofar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how do you get the blumin photo to show?????????

Comment

35yrs this year, for me to jock, arrived 10th Dec 1975.
      my home for the next 9mths.
      then came back for a second tour

hedgehog.jpg

Comment

There's a size limit on attachments you can hook into the system because they're stored on the database...

You can remote link OK, just don't tick the "Retrieve remote file and reference locally"
        Grimster
        Webmeister
        Last edited by Grimster; 12-01-2010, 04:03 PM.
        "Any statements I make while using this website are purely of my own opinion and are not to be construed as statements of fact and are not said with any intended malice. My opinions are a reflection of my earned right to freedom of expression and speech and do not necessarily reflect that of NIVA."
        Sic transit gloria mundi

Comment

ok boss, will try and get it right next time

Comment

In Memory of those who fell in the month of March.

Lt Col. Grey KW. KIA Mar 73
            Maj. Warner R. KIA Mar 66
            Flt Lt. LLewellyn Davis. MC,DFC,WKHM. Heli Crash. Mar75
            Capt. Mann PA. KIA Mar 75
            Supt. Milling JC. WKHM(g) Heli Crash mar77

May they Rest in Peace.

Comment

R.I.P.

We Will Remember Them.
              You cannot fight a war with one hand tied behind your back.

Comment

...i served with mike kealy, came as quite a shock at the time to hear he died of exposure, all these years later i`m still suspisious of the circumstances of his death?

Comment

Gibbo, like you, I find it difficult to grasp that such an experienced soldier fell victim to the weather. From what I have heard and read, the weather was really atrocious. Apparently, a couple of students on selection came across him and he was displaying all the symptoms of exposure. They offered aid but he told them basically to bugger off. As he was an S.A.S. officer and the lads were being tested, they regretfully left him to it thinking that he could fend for himself. When his body was discovered, from all accounts, although I still find it hard to accept, the contents of his bergan was useless weight instead of what the students carried ie. clothing, sleeping bag, waterproofs, brew kit etc, kit which could have saved his life.
                  The rights and wrongs of the actions of the students who left him could be debated for ever more. But personally, I feel that they were victims of the "individual effort" syndrome that was instilled by the DS into all students during the fitness and navigation part of selection which made them think it was every man for himself. Mike Kealy was not the first, or the last soldier to die on the Brecon Beacons trying to"win" that elusive winged dagger.

R.I.P.

Comment

here you go jock.
                    a quick trip down the wadi to the sea
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4wRE03Xmvk

anywhere you recognize ?

Comment

just for fun,
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWyf71lFdsc

need cheering up 34yrs today since my best mate died

RIP Bob

Comment

last memory for today thumbrait. AKA Midway.
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcI8UBTRrtM

Comment

Terrific fly past. Can't remember seeing Jaguars in 1975. I think the SOAF were still using Mentors then. Noisy bloody things they were. The heli pilots used to fly nap of the earth and loved diving into the wadis going flat out. After 5 minutes you felt seasick. When you landed and jumped off, I used to nearly always stagger about for a while as if I was drunk. I'm sure the ba**ards did it deliberately.
                          My commisserations on the loss of your mate.

R.I.P.

Comment

A book some of you may find interesting due to the stories origins being Dhofar, the book is mainly centered around the years 1977 - 1990 and it's contents is a true account that followed the conflict in Dhobar.

The Feather Men

Author Ranulph Fiennes ( himself a former SAS officer )

In the years between 1977 and 1990, a group of hired assassins know as the clinic tracked down and killed 4 British soldiers, one at a time, 2 of the victims were ex-SAS. All 4 had fought in the Arabian desert.

The Feather men were recruited to hunt the clinic. Without their intervention more soldiers would have died. At the end of their operation they asked Ranulph Fiennes, one of the world's best know explorerers and himself a former SAS officer, to tell their extraordinary story....

The Feather Men is the first account of a secret group with SAS connections - still unacknowledged by the establishment , who set out to achieve their own form of justice, and how in September 1990, they finally got their result.
                            Last edited by Guest; 01-08-2010, 09:03 PM.

Comment

yep i read it, mainly because i served under one of the ex-SAS officers who was killed...all very strange?

Comment

Hi There many others that served out there and were killed. Hope this helps,

Dhofar War Dead 1970 -1975

L/Corporal P. Reddy SAS Regt, Oman 1970

Captain I.E. Jones SAS Regt, Oman 1971

Sergeant J.S.M. Moores SAS Regt, Oman 1971

Trooper C. Loid SAS Regt Oman 1971

L/Corporal D.R.Ramsden SAS Regt Oman 1972

Trooper M.J. Martin SAS Regt Oman 1972

Sergeant T. Labalaba,BEM SAS Regt Oman 1972

Trooper T.P.A.Tobin SAS Regt Oman 1972

L/Corporal A. Kent SAS Regt Oman 1974

Captain S. Garthwaite SAS Regt Oman 1974

L/Corporal K. Small SAS Regt Oman 1975

Trooper C. Hennessy SAS Regt Oman 1975

Staff Sgt A.E.Gallagher SAS Regt Oman 1975

Corporal A. Fleming SAS Regt UK (DOW) 1994

“We remember before you, O Lord, and entrust to your keeping, those who in time of war have died in defence of justice and freedom. They that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength: They shall run and not be weary: They shall walk and not faint. They shall not grow old as we that are left grow old: Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn. At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them.”

Jimmy Seville

Comment

Working...
                                X