Announcement

Collapse

Contact details

Effective today, the contact details for the Northern Ireland Veterans' Association have changed to the following

The Secretary
57 Mortimer Street,
Derby.

DE24 8FX

Email: membership@nivets.org.uk
Web: www.nivets.org.uk
Mob: 07368 293729

NIVA Administration.
See more
See less

Northumberland /Newcastle grave visits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PC does us all proud, you DH should buy him some dentafix or lend him yours.
    Spanners do it with their tools.

Comment

My friend is buried at Easington cemetery,Kenneth John Royal,killed Belfast 28/03/85
      go into St Cuthberts it is on the left side along the fence line about 20 metres in

Comment

Originally posted by Ste540 View Post
        My friend is buried at Easington cemetery,Kenneth John Royal,killed Belfast 28/03/85
        go into St Cuthberts it is on the left side along the fence line about 20 metres in
        Our records show that Sig Royal was cremated and his ashes scattered in the garden of remembrance. I was not aware there was a grave marker. If by chance you live nearby, is there any chance you can get a photo of it for our records.
        You cannot fight a war with one hand tied behind your back.

Comment

Well in there P-C

Comment

Originally posted by Jock2413 View Post
            Our records show that Sig Royal was cremated and his ashes scattered in the garden of remembrance. I was not aware there was a grave marker. If by chance you live nearby, is there any chance you can get a photo of it for our records.
            Hopefully in hand . a few of my comrades .and NIVA Member lives thee. have posted on our site (!5/19th asking for help or will pop down next week myself!

Comment

Cheers mucker.

Comment

Originally posted by Ste540 View Post
                My friend is buried at Easington ceme tery,Kenneth John Royal,killed Belfast 28/03/85

one of my Comrades checking . Can you clarify . that it is Easington Cemetery.? as our ROH says , Signalman KENNETH JOHN ROYAL

24576399, ROYAL CORPS OF SIGNALS
                WHO DIED, AGE 20, ON 28 MARCH 1985
                VICTIM OF A ROAD TRAFFIC ACCIDENT.
                LAID TO REST AT ST CUTHBERT'S CHURCH CEMETERY, PETERLEE, CO DURHAM.

Easington Cemetery is a different place?
                P-C
                Association Member/NIVA Merit Award Winner 2017/18
                Last edited by P-C; 10-03-2017, 10:36 AM.

Comment

The directions given by Ste540 does say St Cuthberts so we have to assume that is correct. The info we hold also says St Cuthberts.

Comment

No cemetery in St Cuthbert's Church Peterlee.
                    ?

Comment

I have found a Facebook page for St Cuthberts Church which is regularly used. I have sent a message to the skypilot asking if the stone is in the grounds of the church. It may not have a burial plot, but quite often, cremation marker stones are laid in the grounds of the church the family use. I'll keep you posted P-C.

Comment

Many thanks to my Comrade , Blackhall . His stone is actually in same Cemetery as John Major 15/19th, Horden Parish Council Cemetery,Thorpe Rd, Horden, Peterlee SR8 4TP

Comment

Jock while editing ROH can you put cemetery details on John Majors .did not realise was not on,

Horden Parish Council Cemetery,Thorpe Rd, Horden, Peterlee SR8 4TP ty

Comment

Yes I know. I have all the details on the master sheet though and when I next get Grim to do an update which is a bit overdue (my fault) It will show on his ROH entry. I have entered the stone location for Sig Royal.
                            Many thanks mucker. Funnily enough, I got a prompt reply from the curate of St Cuthberts saying that there were no stones in the churchyard but he suggested either Easington of Hordon. He's going to check back in the archives to see if the service was held in the church.

Comment

Originally posted by Jock2413 View Post
                              The directions given by Ste540 does say St Cuthberts so we have to assume that is correct. The info we hold also says St Cuthberts.
                              Sorry but the church is in Peterlee but the graveyard is in Easington,weird but no real boundary between the two,the headstone is called Balmoral,the name of the road he died on in Belfast,his mam who died in 2012 is intered with him.She never got over her sons death.

Comment

It overlooks the sea and you go through Peterlee to reach it it's near an industrial estate,on the way out to the A19 it says Easington,sorry but I'm a Smoggie and this happened in 85 and this caused my PTSD with the guilt of his death,despite the guy who was driving being the one five times over the limit despite saying he would drive and stay sober.He was not a member of our small section.

Comment

Working...
                                X