Announcement

Collapse

Contact details

Effective today, the contact details for the Northern Ireland Veterans' Association have changed to the following

The Secretary
57 Mortimer Street,
Derby.

DE24 8FX

Email: membership@nivets.org.uk
Web: www.nivets.org.uk
Mob: 07368 293729

NIVA Administration.
See more
See less

Operation Market Garden, 17th September 1944

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Operation Market Garden, 17th September 1944

"Hearing the roar of engines, I went outside and watched the spectacle, like snow falling; then I remembered, 'it doesn't snow in September'. I watched, as the drop continued, thinking, 'if only for once, I had the use of such airborne forces!' Then I dragged myself away, to organise the counter-attack forces". (German Commander, near a drop zone)

"On one of the annual tours, a veteran described the fighting near the bridge to a subdued audience; someone asked him," you were outnumbered, out of ammunition and without possibility of relief - why did you continue fighting?" The veteran, with tears in his eyes replied, "Because they were my friends".

Today we recall the brave and selfless attempt to lay an 'airborne carpet' across the Rhine bridges into Germany. The operation is typyfied by the outstanding courage of 2 Para and attached groups at Arnhem Bridge but from dropzone to withdrawl, from Eindhoven to Oosterbeek, from success to brutal defeat, both soldier and civilian, they were heroes all.

We give our thanks and our respects to all involved.

Utrinque Paratus.

Nice post stevie
    wee mac

Smallest man in NATO. ascendit stilla, numquam vastate duplici

Comment

Remembering the valiant and selfless actions of those involved in this series of vicious battles, over nine days in September. Their memory is eternal, as is our gratitude and respect.
      Utrinque Paratus.

Comment

One of the most inspiring military operations in recent history, carried out with courage and conviction by those airborne forces taking part. A real shame that 30 Corps was held back, maybe there good and valid reasons for that but it does make you wonder at the outcome had they been allowed to press on.

“Some must be warriors, that others may live in peace. ”
        ― Mercedes Lackey

Comment

One of my all-time favourite computer games was based on Market Garden, and I must say that I vastly preferred to be on the 'other side' as it was practically impossible for the allies to win.
          The fact is that the British could not get their armour up the one road that was available to them, and it was childs play to knock them out one by one on the exposed road, the fields being low lying and boggy - impassable to tanks.
          No matter how well the airborne performed at the bridges or in the towns they could not hold out without armoured support.
          Monty admitted the blame was his - and rightly so in my humble opinion.
          With close air support they might have made it, but for some reason it wasnt available.
          But it is bloody easy to be wise after the event, eh?
          (and he didnt get to play the game on the pooter first)

Comment

There are several key issues that contributed to the difficulties faced by the Allied Forces, the pointless insistence that Browning's brigade HQ be on the first lift, using 38 gliders that could've been better used to allow the Airlanding units to arrive in one lift; the underestimation of the ability of German forces to organise and react in the swift manner that they did, ignoring the lessons of Normandy and the breakout; the inability of the commanders of the British armoured units to push, regardless of cost, toward the Rhine bridges, including the unbelievable habit of stopping at night; and, not least, the RAF air commander's insistence that the DZs were so far from the objectives. This has been kicked around by numerous authors but to my judgement these form the core issues.

Comment

The fact that the entire allied plans fell into German hands on Day 1 didnt help much either.

Comment

Ooops! Let's go back to Honoured Memory: Hats off to all those courageous airborne troops and to many in the local population who stood with us (giving much needed support in terms of medical help and accommodation for the wounded). To those who fought and in many cases died - We Will Remember You.
                ― Mercedes Lackey

Comment

Jed, fair point. It's just a NIVA thing, digression. We meant well.

Comment

Oh, I know that Stevie - I'm guilty of it myself and it was my tail end remark that started the strategic discussion (unintentionally). It's just the way things go sometimes and I wasn't being critical, only a bit tongue in cheek.
                    ― Mercedes Lackey

Comment

We knew that too, and had already blamed you for starting it, Jed. Bless. ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by DeadHorse View Post
                        One of my all-time favourite computer games was based on Market Garden
                        So What game was it then? I rarely do any gaming, last I tried was flying a Hurricane in a simulator game. Your game sounds interesting, I might give it a go if it's still around.

I've just read a review of "Battle Academy: Operation Market Garden" seems I have been labouring under the misconception that this was largely a British Airborne operation; I now find that the game is based on a US Airborne Operation Market Garden - I wonder where that happened? Were we there at all?
                        jigsawged
                        Administrator, & NIVA Newshound
                        Last edited by jigsawged; 18-09-2014, 10:40 AM.
                        ― Mercedes Lackey

Comment

Generaloberst Kurt STUDENT was the commander of German Airborne Troops.

Operation "Market Garden" went a Bridge to far and afterwards Lt General Browning was posted to Ceylon as Chief of Staff to Mountbatton. Operation "Varsity" the Rhine Crossing, though not entirely necessary, was bigger and successful. Funny how we remember Omagh beach, Ste Mère-Eglise and Market Garden rather more than UTAH, GOLD, JUNO, SWORD and VARSITY?
                          Army Air Corps.jpg
                          Time to spare, go by air!

Comment

Originally posted by DeadHorse View Post
                            The fact that the entire allied plans fell into German hands on Day 1 didnt help much either.
                            It also didn't help with the fact that SS Panzer units were also in the area for rest and refits. Apparently this info was ignored. The higher ups' must have been mad to still send in those brave lads.

Directly to the point, at my last local 'Para meeting' they asked all there to try to track down an Arnhem vet who was believed still alive locally.

Comment

4th Para Brigade dropped on day 2 of Operation Market, one of the battalions being 10 Para. Because the radios were not working, they didn't realise that their drop zone was completely covered by enemy fire. As they tried to join up with their sister units, 10 Para were almost wiped out. The survivors managed to make their way to the division HQ at the Hartenstein Hotel. After suffering a further week of enemy fire, it was decided to break out and get back across the Rhine. This part was the most successful bit of the operation although when the boats turned up, it was found that there was not enough room for everyone. So they were given the choice .... await capture by the SS, or swim one of the widest and strongest flowing rivers in Europe. Some decided to swim for it or hang on to the boat painter and get towed across. Sadly, many were swept away by the current and drowned, but one particular young Para was a strong swimmer who when a teenager, his idea of an early morning swim was to swim across the river Tay in Perth, Scotland. He made the far bank which was just as well for me .......... because nearly 6 years later, that young Para became my father.
                              You cannot fight a war with one hand tied behind your back.

Comment

Working...
                              X