Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Operation Market Garden, 17th September 1944

We knew that too, and had already blamed you for starting it, Jed. Bless. ;-)

Administrator & NIVA Newshound jigsawged's Avatar
    Stowmarket, Suffolk (born and raised in Lancashire)
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadHorse View Post
    One of my all-time favourite computer games was based on Market Garden
    So What game was it then? I rarely do any gaming, last I tried was flying a Hurricane in a simulator game. Your game sounds interesting, I might give it a go if it's still around.

I've just read a review of "Battle Academy: Operation Market Garden" seems I have been labouring under the misconception that this was largely a British Airborne operation; I now find that the game is based on a US Airborne Operation Market Garden - I wonder where that happened? Were we there at all?
    Last edited by jigsawged; 18-09-2014 at 11:40 AM.
    “Some must be warriors, that others may live in peace. ”
    ― Mercedes Lackey

Generaloberst Kurt STUDENT was the commander of German Airborne Troops.

Operation "Market Garden" went a Bridge to far and afterwards Lt General Browning was posted to Ceylon as Chief of Staff to Mountbatton. Operation "Varsity" the Rhine Crossing, though not entirely necessary, was bigger and successful. Funny how we remember Omagh beach, Ste Mère-Eglise and Market Garden rather more than UTAH, GOLD, JUNO, SWORD and VARSITY?
    Army Air Corps.jpg
    Time to spare, go by air!

Chatterbox
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadHorse View Post
    The fact that the entire allied plans fell into German hands on Day 1 didnt help much either.
    It also didn't help with the fact that SS Panzer units were also in the area for rest and refits. Apparently this info was ignored. The higher ups' must have been mad to still send in those brave lads.

Directly to the point, at my last local 'Para meeting' they asked all there to try to track down an Arnhem vet who was believed still alive locally.

4th Para Brigade dropped on day 2 of Operation Market, one of the battalions being 10 Para. Because the radios were not working, they didn't realise that their drop zone was completely covered by enemy fire. As they tried to join up with their sister units, 10 Para were almost wiped out. The survivors managed to make their way to the division HQ at the Hartenstein Hotel. After suffering a further week of enemy fire, it was decided to break out and get back across the Rhine. This part was the most successful bit of the operation although when the boats turned up, it was found that there was not enough room for everyone. So they were given the choice .... await capture by the SS, or swim one of the widest and strongest flowing rivers in Europe. Some decided to swim for it or hang on to the boat painter and get towed across. Sadly, many were swept away by the current and drowned, but one particular young Para was a strong swimmer who when a teenager, his idea of an early morning swim was to swim across the river Tay in Perth, Scotland. He made the far bank which was just as well for me .......... because nearly 6 years later, that young Para became my father.
    You cannot fight a war with one hand tied behind your back.

Administrator & NIVA Newshound jigsawged's Avatar
    Stowmarket, Suffolk (born and raised in Lancashire)
    "One particular young Para was a strong swimmer who when a teenager, his idea of an early morning swim was to swim across the river Tay in Perth, Scotland. He made the far bank which was just as well for me .......... because nearly 6 years later, that young Para became my father."

Well, somebody had to
    “Some must be warriors, that others may live in peace. ”
    ― Mercedes Lackey

Mind you, only a mother knows who the true father is.
    You cannot fight a war with one hand tied behind your back.

As the Islander was returning in the wee hours one night to Aldergrove after a Compassionate A trip to the mainland I brought the subject up of Normandy, Arnhem and the Glider Pilots with the pilot I was flying with that night. It was a moonlit night with little cloud and we could see the runway lights of Belfast International from quite a distance and at that time of the morning Belfast had no other flight or radio traffic to distract us. The pilot was a QHI/QFI, an Ex LI Soldier, Warrant Officer Helicopter and Fixed Wing Flying Instructor I'd know for over 15 years.

As we approached base in the darkness I said it must have been a bit like this being the tug aircraft taking the Gliders into Europe in 1944, well apart from people shooting at us! As we had the hight he throttled back both engines back till they were just ticking over, then stuck the nose down to increase the speed and all we could then hear was the rush of the air as we descended out of the sky. It was brilliantly weird not to hear the engines, just the noise of the Islander dropping out the night sky. Just before hitting the runway he pushed the throttles forward to give us power and did a STOL landing using hardly any of the main runway, the Grey Ghost had returned from another successful mission.

Islander-ZG848.jpg
    Time to spare, go by air!