Announcement

Collapse

Contact details

Effective today, the contact details for the Northern Ireland Veterans' Association have changed to the following

The Secretary
57 Mortimer Street,
Derby.

DE24 8FX

Email: membership@nivets.org.uk
Web: www.nivets.org.uk
Mob: 07368 293729

NIVA Administration.
See more
See less

Macclesfield War Graves Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Macclesfield War Graves Project

The Macclesfield War Graves Project is a community inspired plan involving the CWGC, RBL, Local Authority and 3 local schools. They aim for supervised groups of schoolchildren to visit and lay a wreath at each of the 83 War Graves of WWI and WW2 which lie at Macclesfield Borough Cemetary, to which end they have also been greatly assisted by the Cemetary staff.

The instigator of the project Trevor Druce, has no military association nor was he a member of the RBL, he just felt that he had to do something as a part of the Centennial commemorations. He is passionate about the project and has undertaken much of the work and some of the expense himself, all credit to him for that. The RBL has adopted him and his plan; they have been able to assist with obtaining details etc. from the CWGC and in visiting locations and suchlike.

I had a meeting this morning with the Chairman of the RBL Macclesfield branch, himself a NI veteran (name withheld for reasons of persec) and Trevor, the chap who is organising the "Macclesfield War Graves Project".

It was a friendly meeting and I was able to outline what is being done by NIVA regarding visiting our fallen comrades and other support available to members within the Forum. They were unaware of NIVA and showed great interest. They will both be looking at the Forum very soon.

I was made aware that many of the branch members were NIVETS and that they offer a good deal of support to members with PTSD and related issues and they work closely with the NHS through www.penninecare.nhs.uk/military veterans. Although that website is local to this area, it is a national service operated in each NHS region.

I had previously written to both men when I first became aware of what they are doing and I asked that they consider including the two NI Veterans who lie buried in that Cemetary. I felt that it would be a good thing to make the schoolchildren aware of the fact that these war graves also existed.

Unfortunately they feel that they cannot open the project any wider at this time. They have had to draw a line in the sand restricting it to the two world wars although Trevor, who wants the project to be ongoing in future years, is hopeful that they will be included at a later stage.

When it was explained to me just how much work they have already undertaken and how much is still to do, I had to accept that our two fallen cannot be included at this stage. I fully understand their position especially as there also war graves from other conflicts.

I haven't yet visited our two (I will be visiting them soon) I've been saving them as they are on my doorstep and I will be moving from this area at the end of the month. I will be settling in Suffolk by late spring and I will resume grave visits in that area then.
    “Some must be warriors, that others may live in peace. ”
    ― Mercedes Lackey

Visit tree 49/189 @ the NMA and say hello.

Comment

Thanks On1on,
      That is really helpful, I should have no trouble finding these guys.
      “Some must be warriors, that others may live in peace. ”
      ― Mercedes Lackey

Comment

One's on the right and the other isn't...

Yes, they aren't too difficult, I'd say they're about 100/150 yards apart either side of the road.
        Visit tree 49/189 @ the NMA and say hello.

Comment

Working...
        X