Announcement

Collapse

Contact details

Effective today, the contact details for the Northern Ireland Veterans' Association have changed to the following

The Secretary
57 Mortimer Street,
Derby.

DE24 8FX

Email: membership@nivets.org.uk
Web: www.nivets.org.uk
Mob: 07368 293729

NIVA Administration.
See more
See less

Gravewatch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gravewatch

My wife and I managed to visit the following (in the Chester area) today:

Ranger David Lanham RIR (Jan 1983) Church of Holy Ascension, Upton, Chester CH2 1HS
    Picture obtained. Military headstone, the grave is in good condition. There has been an obvious visit by the unit (Remembrance cross).

Sgt John Livingstone R Sigs (Apr 1998) Blacon Cemetary, Blacon, Chester CH1 5BB Grave Section K Row 3 Number 51
    Picture obtained (slightly out of focus though). Family headstone, well tended and cared for.

Major Peter Willis (Jul 1975) GH Blacon Cemetary, Blacon, Chester CH1 5BB Grave section E Number 233
    Picture obtained. Military headstone. The grave is in a clean and tidy condition. No sign of any recent visit.

Respects were paid to all on behalf of NIVA

We tried for ages to find Pte Neil Williams (Dec 1982) at Blacon but we could not find it. There was a Neil Williams family headstone but age (39) and date of death did not match or come anywhere close. I wonder if the grave reference is wrong. I can't say that the 39 yr old Neil Williams was actually occupying Section G 34A, the numbering was sparse and difficult to locate, there being only odd ones over a large plot so it is possible that the reference is wrong. We checked about 300 headstones twice and couldn't locate this poor lad.

The photo's have been sent to Jock
    “Some must be warriors, that others may live in peace. ”
    ― Mercedes Lackey

Nice one Jig.
    R.I.P

Fingers crossed in locating Neil Williams.
    In memory of Private David James McCahill
    The Gloucestershire Regiment.
    In memory of Gunner William John Marks
    91st Field Regiment. The Royal Artillery.

Comment

Nice one mucker. I usually process any photos I get sent during the early hours of the morning so's I don't get disturbed. So don't fret if you get no immediate reply to your email.
      You cannot fight a war with one hand tied behind your back.

Comment

On my visit to a printer today regarding NIVA stickers, I was quite surprised to see a batch of tickets for a function being hosted by the Macclesfield War Graves Project ( www.macclesfieldwargravesproject.co.uk/‎ ).

As can be seen on their website, this appears to be a community project but appears limited to WW1 & WW2. I have contacted the project to make them aware of the two Northern Ireland War Graves in the town cemetary and requested that they be included in the project. I await a reply and I will keep you posted.
        “Some must be warriors, that others may live in peace. ”
        ― Mercedes Lackey

Comment

Both pictures in the other thread thingy...
          Visit tree 49/189 @ the NMA and say hello.

Comment

Originally posted by jigsawged View Post
            On my visit to a printer today regarding NIVA stickers, I was quite surprised to see a batch of tickets for a function being hosted by the Macclesfield War Graves Project ( www.macclesfieldwargravesproject.co.uk/‎ ).

As can be seen on their website, this appears to be a community project but appears limited to WW1 & WW2. I have contacted the project to make them aware of the two Northern Ireland War Graves in the town cemetary and requested that they be included in the project. I await a reply and I will keep you posted.
            Fingers crossed re the email. Anything is worth a try & would be nice to get a response either way.
            In memory of Private David James McCahill
            The Gloucestershire Regiment.
            In memory of Gunner William John Marks
            91st Field Regiment. The Royal Artillery.

Comment

Originally posted by jigsawged View Post

Did I send you the logo?

Nice work.

Comment

I sent him a copy/paste sample of the logo Phil. I was having no luck with my local printing companies either. One said they could do it, but then quoted silly numbers minimum order and even sillier prices.
                You cannot fight a war with one hand tied behind your back.

Comment

Working...
                X