Announcement

Collapse

Contact details

Effective today, the contact details for the Northern Ireland Veterans' Association have changed to the following

The Secretary
57 Mortimer Street,
Derby.

DE24 8FX

Email: membership@nivets.org.uk
Web: www.nivets.org.uk
Mob: 07368 293729

NIVA Administration.
See more
See less

Gunner George Muncaster, KIA 23rd January 1977

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Couldn't get there this year old lad but still remembered, see you again soon.
    Visit tree 49/189 @ the NMA and say hello.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Something I wrote back in 2004 for Ken Wharton's book:

Gunner George Mitchell Muncaster, KIA 23rd January 1977 in Belfast

I left the Army in 1977 shortly after my second tour of Northern Ireland which had been based at the Ormeau Road gasworks bordering on the republican Markets area, just south of Belfast city centre. I was just 21 years old having joined as a boy soldier aged 15 in the Junior Leaders’ Regiment, Royal Artillery. Like many before and many since, I struggled to adjust and settle down in civvy street having no job to go to and nowhere to live. With the help of family, friends and the love of a good woman, I eventually came good and am now employed helping others in a well paid job I enjoy.

At first, I was constantly reminded through press and TV of the continuing ‘Troubles’ in the province. I sought to box off the bad memories of NI and keep them tucked away somewhere at the back of my mind whilst getting on with the rest of my life. But, over the last few years as I got older, something had been nagging away at the back of my mind. With age comes a sense of looking back so I suppose what happened was that bit by bit, the string around the box I’d stored away started to unravel bringing back the memories. One memory in particular, that of my friend George Muncaster.

22.00 hours, 23rd January 1977 in Belfast, my section had just come off a 16 hour shift of foot and mobile patrols of 2 hours on, 2 hours standby, 2 hours on etc and we had grabbed a couple of egg banjos and were off to our pits to clean rifles and grab some kip before starting again at 06.00 next morning. For some reason I’d kept my Pye set, probably too tired to bother handing it in, and just as I was pulling the sheets back came the dreaded “Contact, wait out”. A single high velocity shot fired from Saint Colman’s primary school in the Markets area at 22.08 hours hit and killed George. Within minutes he had died in the arms of a comrade on the corner of Eliza and New Bond Street, only a few hundred yards away from where we were. The gunman escaped the FUIHP and the firing point was discovered the next day, an open window in the school. (I understand the Garand rifle used was recovered by the incoming Regiment a few weeks later).

I wasn’t there when George was shot; I didn’t witness it firsthand. George wasn’t in our section or troop, he was based at the Mission Hall on Cromac Square with 1 Troop, maybe a quarter of a mile away from the gasworks and 2 & 3 Troop of 55 (The Residency) Battery, 49 Field Regiment RA. We were however both ex brats from Junior Leaders, we both worked on the command post on FACE, we both lived in the barrack block back in Hohne as single lads eating and drinking together. But he died and I didn’t. So why did I feel guilty after all these years? Why was he robbed of his life and I wasn’t? Why did I go on to make a relative success of my life and he couldn’t? Why so many whys?

Nowadays it’s recognised as survivor guilt, PTSD, back then it wasn’t. You just got on with things, or didn’t. Many a single soldier failed to readjust to ‘normal’ life after returning to BAOR and either went AWOL, got drunk regularly or bought themselves out, I got drunk and PVR’d a few months later. When we returned to Hohne we were dropped off on the main square to await the baggage bus and left to it. There was no support in the 70’s, or if there was, I wasn’t aware or offered it. My unhappiness manifested itself with requests to transfer to other Corps but my colour blindness put paid to that. An offer of promotion to full Bombardier and a two year posting to Warminster as a skill at arms instructor was declined. I got the distinct impression they were glad to see me go as that would be one problem less.

At the time things were starting to bother me again I discovered the internet and the Northern Ireland Veterans Association online, this would have been 2004. Through their friendship and support, they helped me start to come to terms with my negative thoughts and recognise what was bothering me. Most of the time now I’m ok but on others, usually in the latter part of January, I’m not and feel crap for no apparent reason, but now I know why. So what can I do? Well if nothing else, I can make sure George’s name is not forgotten along with all the others left behind, and aren’t just names in a long list of names of those that gave their all for a nation that all too soon forgets.

When you visit the National Memorial Arboretum at Alrewas in Staffordshire, make the long walk along Millennium Way from the visitor centre to the Ulster Ash Grove and visit the tree planted in his honour, (labelled 49/183), with a commemorative plaque attached. Look around and behold the forest of young ash trees planted to remember other fallen young comrades and say hello. Tell him and the many others they are missed by family and friends. Tell him to rest quietly with his new friends and let your eyes fill up and the tears fall, as mine do now writing this, then stand proud and remember, remember the sacrifice of giving his life so others can enjoy the fragile peace, never to be forgotten, not while we live on and the trees grow. No-one will mind, they’re probably doing the same. Rest in peace mate.

Obituary published in the journal of 49 Field Regiment, RA:

Gunner George Muncaster

It was just past 10 o’clock on Sunday night, 23rd January 1977 that one of our best known and best liked friends was callously murdered whilst patrolling with his section on the hard line republican streets of the Markets. Scouse was a man who smiled well and whose contribution to the happiness and welfare of our community was always large. His discos were a regular success, generally noisy and always jolly. Our Battery dances will never be the same again. Coming from the Junior Leaders’ Regiment in 1974 he immediately became one of the Regiment. Football was his great love and on a number of occasions he played for the Regiment as goalkeeper. During his Northern Ireland tour he was a rifleman in 1 Troop based on the Mission Hall. To his parents, brother, sisters and friends, we join in deep sympathy and sorrow. We are proud to have served alongside him.

From the book, “Bullets, Bombs and Cups of Tea” by Ken Wharton published by Helion & Company Ltd, 2009 (ISBN 978-1906033-34-7)

Ken Wharton Bibliography:
          • [FONT="]A Long Long War: Voices from the British Army in Northern Ireland, 1969–1998[/FONT][FONT="]. Helion and Company. (2008)[/FONT]
          • [FONT="]Bullets, Bombs and Cups of Tea: Further Voices of the British Army in Northern Ireland, 1969–98[/FONT][FONT="]. Helion and Company. (2009)[/FONT]
          • [FONT="]Bloody Belfast: An Oral History of the British Army's War Against the IRA[/FONT][FONT="]. The History Press Ltd. (2010)[/FONT]
          • [FONT="]The Bloodiest Year: British Soldiers in Northern Ireland 1972, in Their Own Words[/FONT][FONT="]. The History Press Ltd. (2011)[/FONT]
          • [FONT="]Sir, They're Taking the Kids Indoors: The British Army in Northern Ireland, 1973/74[/FONT][FONT="]. Helion and Company. (2012)[/FONT]
          • [FONT="]Wasted Years, Wasted Lives: Vol 1 The Troubles 1975/7[/FONT][FONT="]. Helion and Company (2013)[/FONT]
          • [FONT="]Wasted Years, Wasted Lives: Vol 2 The Troubles 1978/9[/FONT][FONT="]. Helion and Company (July 2014)[/FONT]
          • [FONT="]Northern Ireland 1980–83: An Agony Continued[/FONT][FONT="]. Helion and Company (August, 2015)[/FONT]
          • [FONT="]Another Bloody Chapter in an Endless Civil War; the troubles: Vol 1[/FONT][FONT="]: 84-87' Helion and Company (July 2016)[/FONT]
          • [FONT="]Another Bloody Chapter in an Endless Civil War; the troubles: Vol 11: 1988-90[/FONT][FONT="] Helion and Company (July 2017[/FONT]

Blood and Broken Glass; Northern Ireland’s Violent Countdown Towards Peace: 1991-1993 Helion and Company (2018)
          On1on
          Association Member
          Last edited by On1on; 22-01-2018, 07:13 PM.
          Visit tree 49/189 @ the NMA and say hello.

Comment

Comment

It is very humbling to read of the anguish that many NIVA members still suffer. The description of the Ash Grove tearful visit strikes a chord with me, been there - done that. The constant thread that runs through NIVA is that We Will Remember and we will be there for all those still feeling grief and guilt (for which there is no reason, survivors survive - it isn't a choice). For those too, suffering long term PTSD, there is no cure but one can only hope that life gets easier as time passes. Oddly enough, as we age it seems to come back and haunt us.

I can't talk about the sacrifices that were made without becoming very emotional. I can't read the ROH with my comrades in the chapel without filling up. I know that I am not alone and that helps....Know too that you are not alone.
              “Some must be warriors, that others may live in peace. ”
              ― Mercedes Lackey

Comment

Thank you, On1on.

Comment

Comment

Rest easy brother Gunner.
                    You cannot fight a war with one hand tied behind your back.

Comment

Be who you are and say what you feel...
                      Because those that matter, don't mind.
                      And those that mind, don't matter!

Comment

They live on in us
                        Spanners do it with their tools.

Comment

Right here for you guys as you continue to be for me.
                          In memory of Private David James McCahill
                          The Gloucestershire Regiment.
                          In memory of Gunner William John Marks
                          91st Field Regiment. The Royal Artillery.

Comment

Working...
                          X