Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sapper Howard Benson Edwards

Always remembered.
    You cannot fight a war with one hand tied behind your back.

Old Warhorse turned Admin. Order of Bogdan Khmelnitsky 1st Class DeadHorse's Avatar
    Kent, nowhere near 'that Yorkshire' {{{shudder}}}
    RCT & bar (fully licensed)
    This Vehicle is Alarmed
    (but the driver has seen it all before)
    You can lead a horse to water - but you cant make me drink the stuff.

Admin/Membership Secretary/Treasurer On1on's Avatar
    I should've mentioned that I have been in touch with tom's mum, due to her work commitments on a weekend we not been able to get together yet. That crooked headstone behind his has been relaid and is now upright.
    Visit tree 49/189 @ the NMA and say hello.

Wallflower
    Good work

Why the hell is not the MOD on top of this ?

T

Your

Wallflower
    Strange thing today

I went to Google street maps in Belfast and traveled some routes from 30 years ago. Never seen it since those days !

Started by chance on the Monagh bypass where we actually had a shoot. It was from Ballymurphy estate as it was called at the time in 1985 and a house on the Monagh road, all open ground to the bypass at the time. A big machine gun (M60) opened as the old personal carriers (Pig) slowed driving up the hill.

They fired a few short burst at us. It almost took some ones head off but we had a lucky day.

The boys deployed and assaulted the position with great courage. QRF up in seconds but the bad guys got away. I looked at the tracer marks on the Pig later. So close to his head. Lucky day!

The following months/years were also interesting !

Never been there since but found it on Google street maps today ! How strange !

The street and houses look like someone has spent a lot of money !

No sign of Fort Whiterock up there on the left as one approaches the hill top. The SF base is all gone !

Turn right into Springfield road towards the city, past Kelly Corner ( bad place for an issue which I once had ) Go down the street and its all smart houses which have clean red bricks with new red roofs. Lots of money spent. As I Google down into Springfield Road looking for my old SF base … its long gone !

This is good. Probably many years ago. Normal life, as it should be for all.

It got so nasty and for so long. But its over, thanks to some brave souls.

Its unfair, its unjust and its simply tragic, for mothers, fathers, wives and kids who have lost loved ones.

The MOD forget, but some of us do remember.

This is Sapper Howard Benson Edwards day …..

Keep it going !

T

You will see a lot of changes mucker. Lots of new houses and factories and the changes to the city centre have to be seen to be believed. But some of the old favourites still have the same layouts. The big difference is that they are now clean. No street or garden rubbish. No abandoned cars or burnt out stuff. and most noticable, especially in the 'murph .... hardly a sign of those pro republican slogans daubed on every wall. Its as if it had never happened.
    But our memories tell a different story.

TMR;-

Don't you believe it my friend, I don't and I am sure a lot of others on this website will feel the same. Just like the current Ebola outbreak, it goes quiet for years but is still simmering away just waiting for the right conditions to break out again. Just read the reports from N Ireland forum, it isn't full peace, but a lot of good but quietly scared people are convincing themselves that it is. Thats my opinion anyway.

Merry Xmas all the same

warriordoc2
    Quote Originally Posted by damoclese View Post
    TMR;-

Don't you believe it my friend, I don't and I am sure a lot of others on this website will feel the same. Just like the current Ebola outbreak, it goes quiet for years but is still simmering away just waiting for the right conditions to break out again. Just read the reports from N Ireland forum, it isn't full peace, but a lot of good but quietly scared people are convincing themselves that it is. Thats my opinion anyway.

Merry Xmas all the same
    I travel to the province at least four times a year and visit close to Derry and believe me there are still 'Problems' ongoing. Every night and sometimes on day news there are reports of pipe bombs hijackings shootings and the good old punishment squads (remember those little darlings)? It's a simple fact that these local news fillers are not reported on the mainland so the troubles are over. Peace reigns, Oh yeah says who..........???

Administrator & NIVA Newshound jigsawged's Avatar
    Stowmarket, Suffolk (born and raised in Lancashire)
    If I never see the place again it will be too soon. In the seventies, in Belfast and Londonderry you could sense that the little sods throwing stones would soon be sporting Armalites and such. I firmly believed that I would never see an end to the "Troubles" in my lifetime so I was pretty surprised when "peace" fell like a blanket of snow over the province. For years I believed it was over, then I started reading the newsfeed on the forum. The bigotry seems to be alive and well, the gangsters are probably still making a nice little earner and people continue to be maimed and killed. Maybe I was right the first time? Not in my lifetime.
    “Some must be warriors, that others may live in peace. ”
    ― Mercedes Lackey