Announcement

Collapse

Contact details

Effective today, the contact details for the Northern Ireland Veterans' Association have changed to the following

The Secretary
57 Mortimer Street,
Derby.

DE24 8FX

Email: membership@nivets.org.uk
Web: www.nivets.org.uk
Mob: 07368 293729

NIVA Administration.
See more
See less

1979: IRA bomb kills Lord Mountbatten

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1979: IRA bomb kills Lord Mountbatten

1979: IRA bomb kills Lord Mountbatten

The Queen's cousin, Lord Louis Mountbatten, has been killed by a bomb blast on his boat in Ireland.

One of the earl's twin grandsons, Nicholas, 14, and Paul Maxwell, 15, a local employed as a boat boy, also died in the explosion.

The attack was followed only hours later by the massacre of 18 soldiers, killed in two booby-trap bomb explosions near Warrenpoint close to the border with the Irish Republic.

The IRA has already admitted carrying out the attack on Lord Mountbatten.

A statement from the organisation said: "This operation is one of the discriminate ways we can bring to the attention of the English people the continuing occupation of our country."

Lord Mountbatten, aged 79, and his family had traditionally spent their summer holiday at their castle in County Sligo, north west of Ireland.

They were aboard his boat, Shadow V, which had just set off from the fishing village of Mullaghmore, when the bomb detonated around 1130 BST.

A witness said the blast blew the boat "to smithereens" and hurled all seven occupants into the water.

Nearby fishermen raced to the rescue and pulled Lord Mountbatten out of the water.

Security arrangements

But his legs had been almost severed by the explosion and he died shortly afterwards.

Other survivors were pulled out of the water and rushed to hospital.

At least one person is believed to be in a critical condition.

The attack has called into question the security arrangements surrounding the Mountbatten party. Lord Mountbatten never had a bodyguard.

The local police kept watch on Classiebawn castle for the one month a year Lord Mountbatten spent there.

But his boat was left unguarded in the public dock in Mullaghmore where it was moored.

The village is only 12 miles from the Northern Ireland border and near an area known to be used by IRA members as a refuge.

In Context

Another passenger on the boat, the Dowager Lady Brabourne, 82, died the day after the attack.

Lord Mountbatten was given a state funeral. Six of the soldiers who died at Warrenpoint were buried the same day in local churches.

Thomas McMahon, 31, was convicted of the three murders.

He had been detained in the area by police on suspicion of driving a stolen car two hours before the bomb went off.

McMahon was set free in 1998 under the Good Friday Agreement.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/d...00/2511545.stm

I remember that day well ...... strange how some things don't seem that long ago, yet at the same time they seem like a lifetime ago

Comment

I read this article I knew were I was at the time. I was at Detmold on a riding course. I was thinking of coming out. I had been offer a job but had to turn it down due to not been able to find any were to live around the Twickenham area.

Comment

I was in Germany showing my new girlfriend off, and I still can't shake her off...

Spent the day in Hamburg and bought the Daily Mirror, I'd only been a civvy 2 years and it hit me hard keeping me quiet for a few days putting me back in my shell, couldn't believe the lack of security and loss of life.

Comment

I had been 'working' all day, came back home and sat down to watch the Edinburgh tattoo - they announced that, due to the 'sad events in Mullaghmore, and the deaths of eighteen soldiers today, the programme will consist entirely of music, as a tribute'.
          I was stunned, and angered, beyond words; I could not take the numbers in, and it angers me to this day.
          For what it is worth the team who did the Narrow Water job were all dead within two years.

Rest in peace, all.

Comment

Yes remember it very well.
            Was working the areas of Belfast city centre,and New lodge .At that time

Comment

Working...
            X