Announcement

Collapse

Contact details

Effective today, the contact details for the Northern Ireland Veterans' Association have changed to the following

The Secretary
57 Mortimer Street,
Derby.

DE24 8FX

Email: membership@nivets.org.uk
Web: www.nivets.org.uk
Mob: 07368 293729

NIVA Administration.
See more
See less

27th August 1979 - Narrow Water Castle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not a day I can ever forget even though I have tried. I was in the first 4 tonner when we got hit and all I remember after that is pulling the guys out from underneath the vehicle and the ammunition was going off in their webbing. How none of us got hit I don't know. We had sorted out Tom C and Paul Burns and they were loaded onto the Wessex for CASEVAC. We were down on the ground looking across Narrow Water when the second bomb went off.
    Next day we were back out on patrol in Newry and I was amazed at how many folk came out of their houses and said how sad they were for the loss of all those young lives.
    A group of us who were involved went back for the 30th anniversary and even stayed in Ballykinler camp, which brought back even more memories. Very poignant moment for myself and I am sure many of the others as I/we had not been on that bit of ground for 30 years.

RIP Lads,
    Mossy

Comment

I don't think there was one of us who had served or was serving at that time who was not affected by this tragedy. But it's hard to imagine what it was like to have been there at the time.
      Always remembered.
      You cannot fight a war with one hand tied behind your back.

Comment

always remembered piggysus
        wee mac

Smallest man in NATO. ascendit stilla, numquam vastate duplici

Comment

RIP.
          In memory of Colour Sergeant John Michael Morrell - my big brother, my hero.

Comment

Be who you are and say what you feel...
            Because those that matter, don't mind.
            And those that mind, don't matter!

Comment

Remembering again this year, those lads of yesterday.

A memory that will always remain burned in; I wasn't there but I was 'working' that day.
              This day still raises the anger and sadness that I felt at the time.

Utrinque Paratus.

Comment

You cannot fight a war with one hand tied behind your back.

Comment

I never could go back to the scene of the bomb that got me, even going down the Antrim Rd on Google earth started an angina attack. Well done Piggysus, we will never forget them.
                  Spanners do it with their tools.

Comment

Working...
                  X