Announcement

Collapse

Contact details

Effective today, the contact details for the Northern Ireland Veterans' Association have changed to the following

The Secretary
57 Mortimer Street,
Derby.

DE24 8FX

Email: membership@nivets.org.uk
Web: www.nivets.org.uk
Mob: 07368 293729

NIVA Administration.
See more
See less

27th August 1979 - Narrow Water Castle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We Will Remember Them

bobc...........

Comment

Thirty years today; this post is almost that, to the minute. The first device, hidden in an articulated trailer of straw bales parked in a layby on the edge of Narrow Water, was detonated as the second RL from 2 Para passed it at 1645. This killed six men and injured others.

The rest of the convoy drove on and pulled into the central reservation opposite the gatehouse to the newer castle, situated on the opposite side of the dual carriageway and about 50 metres further north. They de-bussed and brought the wounded to the gates as an rv point. They also returned fire at what they thought to be fire positions on the opposite bank, about 75 metres away, also believed to be the firing point for the bomb.
      Another mobile patrol from 2 Para, arriving from Warrenpoint, went firm near the old castle on the shore side.

A Scout landed nearby and dropped off Lt Col Blair, CO 1 QOH, and his signaller. A Wessex then landed on the central reservation near the gates and took on the wounded.

Toms were diercting traffic and clearing the wreckage for survivors; the Wessex lifted off, and CO 1 QOH walked through the gate toward the road - at which point the second device, consisting of 1000lbs of HME buried into the gate area,was detonated. This blast killed another 12 men.

The Wessex, although damaged, managed to lift clear with its wounded.

The worst single loss of life in one day inflicted on the British Army during the course of Op Banner.

Rest easy Toms, always remembered.

Utrinque Paratus.

Comment

we will remember them
        wee mac

Smallest man in NATO. ascendit stilla, numquam vastate duplici

Comment

I will always remember those boys because on the day they lost their lives
          my youngest son was born, he is 30 yrs old today.
          Joy and Sadness in 1 day

Rest In Piece Lads
          John

Comment

Gone but NEVER forgotten
            A-mechs have BIGGER TOOLS

Comment

We Will Remember Them.
              And on this day, the innocents on Shadow 5

Comment

Yes Frenchie ... sometimes the murder of Earl Mountbatten and two innocent boys is overshadowed by the explosion at Narrow Water just a few hours later. We Remember all with equal amounts of sadness.

What some people might not know is that Narrow Water was the first time the IRA actually used a 'remote control' bomb (radio signals as opposed to a command wire) against the Security Forces ... and we were to suffer by the same means for many years to come such was its success

Some of our lads were there that day both prior to the explosion and in the aftermath of Narrow Water. We've always had a very close affinity with the Para's (as we have with most Regiments) and attend these annual acts of Remembrance. I'll be attending the official Service of Remembrance on Monday as a guest of 2 Para. I'll be placing Poppy Croses on behalf of our Regiment, and if you want me to place one on behalf of NIVA I'll be happy to do so ... Slops/Webby perhaps you would let me know.

I'll report on the event on Monday only AFTER it has taken place, when/where etc.

Comment

Once again this year, 33 years after the tragedy, we remember our fallen comrades.

Rest easy, men.

Comment

RIP.
                    Be who you are and say what you feel...
                    Because those that matter, don't mind.
                    And those that mind, don't matter!

Comment

Rest easy lads.
                      Attached Files

Comment

We Will Remember Them.
                        You cannot fight a war with one hand tied behind your back.

Comment

RIP
                          wee mac

Smallest man in NATO. ascendit stilla, numquam vastate duplici

Comment

Comment

Lest We Forget!

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X