Announcement

Collapse

Contact details

Effective today, the contact details for the Northern Ireland Veterans' Association have changed to the following

The Secretary
57 Mortimer Street,
Derby.

DE24 8FX

Email: membership@nivets.org.uk
Web: www.nivets.org.uk
Mob: 07368 293729

NIVA Administration.
See more
See less

Sgt Lee Davidson Light Dragoons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sgt Lee Davidson Light Dragoons

Yesterday I attended the Funeral of Sgt Davidson at Thorne nr Doncaster, A full military funeral my first, A very impressive occasion, 12 standards ,attended by about seven hundred veterans and civilians and 100 uniformed Servicemen a great number of Senior officers never seen so many Colonels in one place, And A major General, A sad occasion feeling were shown by many, the walk from church to churchyard by hundreds following Hearse led by mounted police I sight that will remain with me for years to come, Rest in Peace Lee ,
    MEREBIMUR

A hard day all round mate. Good of you to take the time to pay your respects.
    R.I.P. Lee.
    You cannot fight a war with one hand tied behind your back.

Comment

As it's close to me I tried to get there but work interfered. Good work that man...
      Visit tree 49/189 @ the NMA and say hello.

Comment

Fortunately I never was very close to anyone who was killed in Northern Ireland so never went to any ones funeral. On two infantry tours, despite a few contacts in Bandit County, we never lost anyone. Even when a lad from my home town after a fun run in Lisburn was killed by an under vehicle bomb, it was not such big thing, sad really but that was how it was. Even now, years later, when I go into my local papers office every year, prior to the anniversary of his death with a printed NIVA scroll or again just before the NIVA memorial at the Arboretum they never print anything about NI.

Thankfully Afghanistan seems to be different and anyone who has been injured there get featured in the two local papers and the one lad killed so far had a very well attended funeral.

Since my old infantry regiment, like quite a few others has been amalgamated, I have attended a number of funerals of the lads killed in Afghanistan to show my respects and be thankful that I am able to do so, unlike while I was serving in NI. I have also been to other military funerals if they are close to where I live. There I see colleagues who I have served with and the many standard bearers. Sad to say in or around the Lancashire area I have been to over a dozen, very moving to see how well attended they are.

We-Will-Remember-Them.jpg
        Time to spare, go by air!

Comment

Being there for someone you didn't even know says it all mate.
          You cannot fight a war with one hand tied behind your back.

Comment

Working...
          X