Announcement

Collapse

Contact details

Effective today, the contact details for the Northern Ireland Veterans' Association have changed to the following

The Secretary
57 Mortimer Street,
Derby.

DE24 8FX

Email: membership@nivets.org.uk
Web: www.nivets.org.uk
Mob: 07368 293729

NIVA Administration.
See more
See less

Gunner Peter William Raistrick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Visit tree 49/189 @ the NMA and say hello.

Comment

Gunners appear to of paid a high price. Like other good units that were there....

Comment

55 in total I believe, apart from the UDR the most killed. In the early years it was mainly infantry units but as things warmed up the RA in BAOR were utilised in the infantry role as were the RE etc.

Comment

Originally posted by On1on View Post
          55 in total I believe, apart from the UDR the most killed. In the early years it was mainly infantry units but as things warmed up the RA in BAOR were utilised in the infantry role as were the RE etc.
          I did one infantry role in 72, and the rest were sapper support....

Comment

As we speak, a group of veterans and some regular lads from 5 Regiment RA are in the process of sorting out Peter's grave. As you can see in an earlier post, it is in a bit of a mess. When its done, a short commemoration service is planned and some photos will be made available on here.
            The RAA may not want to shift their arse on this sort of thing, but us fellow Gunners know how to look after our own.
            You cannot fight a war with one hand tied behind your back.

Comment

Originally posted by Jock2413 View Post
              As we speak, a group of veterans and some regular lads from 5 Regiment RA are in the process of sorting out Peter's grave. As you can see in an earlier post, it is in a bit of a mess. When its done, a short commemoration service is planned and some photos will be made available on here.
              The RAA may not want to shift their arse on this sort of thing, but us fellow Gunners know how to look after our own.

Be who you are and say what you feel...
              Because those that matter, don't mind.
              And those that mind, don't matter!

Comment

Originally posted by Jock2413 View Post

Nice one Jock
                79 Squadron RCT The most Elite regiment of the british army

sigpic
                Taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Comment

Comment

If any of you live in the Halifax area, the Halifax Courier will be printing a story about Peter and the new grave in tomorrow's issue. The re-dedication is due to take place this Sunday and a colour party from 5 Regiment RA will be in attendance. I'm sure any from NIVA who live nearby would be made welcome.

Comment

Brill. Visiting five years ago on my Tour de Yorkshire, this was was one of the most frustrating. First time couldn't find it, emailed the vicar for confirmation of where the grave was and on the second visit found it covered over in grass. It was raining at the time, both from the sky and from my eyes.

This story would be ideal for the Newsletter Ged.

Comment

You certainly do Jock, we will not forget them.
                        Spanners do it with their tools.

Comment

Originally posted by On1on View Post
                          Brill. Visiting five years ago on my Tour de Yorkshire, this was was one of the most frustrating. First time couldn't find it, emailed the vicar for confirmation of where the grave was and on the second visit found it covered over in grass. It was raining at the time, both from the sky and from my eyes.

This story would be ideal for the Newsletter Ged.
                          Thanks On1on, I will take that on board
                          “Some must be warriors, that others may live in peace. ”
                          ― Mercedes Lackey

Comment

Now that's what I call a home for dead heroes.

Attached Files

Comment

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X