Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Gunner Clifford Loring

Leverage!!! You'd do better with a crow bar.
    You cannot fight a war with one hand tied behind your back.

Admin/Membership Secretary/Treasurer On1on's Avatar
    Ouch...
    Visit tree 49/189 @ the NMA and say hello.

Chatterbox. As Nuts As Spanner.
    Reading the posts below, got me thinking (got a headache now!); the reasoning behind my signing up to join the Army as an Apprentice Tradesman (scruffy urchin at 15); back then in the sixties, you joined the Army to get a trade and see a bit of the world. But in reality it never turned out like that, as soon as the seventies arrived there was Op Banner and before that was Aden, Cypress, Kenya to name a few. I think I would be right in saying most of us if not all of us never asked why? We just followed orders and went, did your tour and hoped to return to the peacetime location of your Unit in one peace, have a bit of leave a few tales to tell and that would be it.
    But life through the spanner in the works (not you Spanner), guys were getting badly injured and killed. But still we went no questions, those that served knew it was our duty to obey, and do a professional job (with bad/poor equipment). With recent Ops in mind, still the British Forces will go on going to dangerous places to protect, to destroy infrastructures that threaten the free world, and still there will be no questions asked as to why, That is fibre of the British Soldier, Royal Marine, Royal Navy and Royal Air Force.
    Sorry for going all sentimental.

Association Member & Ace Reporter, NIVA House & Garden Annual Wolgrub's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by exsapper View Post
    Reading the posts below, got me thinking (got a headache now!); the reasoning behind my signing up to join the Army as an Apprentice Tradesman (scruffy urchin at 15); back then in the sixties, you joined the Army to get a trade and see a bit of the world. But in reality it never turned out like that, as soon as the seventies arrived there was Op Banner and before that was Aden, Cypress, Kenya to name a few. I think I would be right in saying most of us if not all of us never asked why? We just followed orders and went, did your tour and hoped to return to the peacetime location of your Unit in one peace, have a bit of leave a few tales to tell and that would be it.
    But life through the spanner in the works (not you Spanner), guys were getting badly injured and killed. But still we went no questions, those that served knew it was our duty to obey, and do a professional job (with bad/poor equipment). With recent Ops in mind, still the British Forces will go on going to dangerous places to protect, to destroy infrastructures that threaten the free world, and still there will be no questions asked as to why, That is fibre of the British Soldier, Royal Marine, Royal Navy and Royal Air Force.
    Sorry for going all sentimental.
    Yes.
    So, the firing-squad formed a circle...

Association Member & WUSA Overseas rep spanner's Avatar
    Ta for the pic Jock, Chalky who is in Bris now was talking to Cliff the day they went out, 11 days later I was injured driving the pig, got the date from micpot who was coming back from rnr so knew the date. Took me a while to get my head around the book title, " Wasted Lives etc " but yes, so many young people died. We will not forget them.
    Spanners do it with their tools.