Announcement

Collapse

Contact details

Effective today, the contact details for the Northern Ireland Veterans' Association have changed to the following

The Secretary
57 Mortimer Street,
Derby.

DE24 8FX

Email: membership@nivets.org.uk
Web: www.nivets.org.uk
Mob: 07368 293729

NIVA Administration.
See more
See less

Gunner Clifford Loring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big I'm not trying to quantify it, as you said, we (most of us) knew that risks were involved and if truth be known, a lot of us revelled in it. My daughter has faced close and present danger many times in 5 theatres, sometimes extreme risk but I always knew that it was what she wanted to do. She came home safely but had the worst happened I would have had to console myself that it was what she believed in and what she has been happiest doing.

No mate, my comments are more in exasperation at the way the survivors are being treated now, potential prosecutions etc.
    “Some must be warriors, that others may live in peace. ”
    ― Mercedes Lackey

Comment

Sorry Jig, no offence intended or taken, just not in a good place and it is a question that is always asked, to which there is no real blanket answer, it is a personal answer. That was the other thing many felt indeed, was excitement and eagerness to get stuck in.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadHorse View Post
        Good bunch them 'orrible gunners. (Dont say I said so or it will spoil my street cred.)
        Duly noted.
        Visit tree 49/189 @ the NMA and say hello.

Comment

Originally posted by On1on View Post
          Duly noted.
          He'll say anything that DH to scrounge a pint. Luckily we are immune to his slabbering.
          You cannot fight a war with one hand tied behind your back.

Comment

I was going to use it for leverage on him actually...

Comment

Leverage!!! You'd do better with a crow bar.
              You cannot fight a war with one hand tied behind your back.

Comment

Ouch...

Comment

Reading the posts below, got me thinking (got a headache now!); the reasoning behind my signing up to join the Army as an Apprentice Tradesman (scruffy urchin at 15); back then in the sixties, you joined the Army to get a trade and see a bit of the world. But in reality it never turned out like that, as soon as the seventies arrived there was Op Banner and before that was Aden, Cypress, Kenya to name a few. I think I would be right in saying most of us if not all of us never asked why? We just followed orders and went, did your tour and hoped to return to the peacetime location of your Unit in one peace, have a bit of leave a few tales to tell and that would be it.
                  But life through the spanner in the works (not you Spanner), guys were getting badly injured and killed. But still we went no questions, those that served knew it was our duty to obey, and do a professional job (with bad/poor equipment). With recent Ops in mind, still the British Forces will go on going to dangerous places to protect, to destroy infrastructures that threaten the free world, and still there will be no questions asked as to why, That is fibre of the British Soldier, Royal Marine, Royal Navy and Royal Air Force.
                  Sorry for going all sentimental.

Comment

Originally posted by exsapper View Post
                    Reading the posts below, got me thinking (got a headache now!); the reasoning behind my signing up to join the Army as an Apprentice Tradesman (scruffy urchin at 15); back then in the sixties, you joined the Army to get a trade and see a bit of the world. But in reality it never turned out like that, as soon as the seventies arrived there was Op Banner and before that was Aden, Cypress, Kenya to name a few. I think I would be right in saying most of us if not all of us never asked why? We just followed orders and went, did your tour and hoped to return to the peacetime location of your Unit in one peace, have a bit of leave a few tales to tell and that would be it.
                    But life through the spanner in the works (not you Spanner), guys were getting badly injured and killed. But still we went no questions, those that served knew it was our duty to obey, and do a professional job (with bad/poor equipment). With recent Ops in mind, still the British Forces will go on going to dangerous places to protect, to destroy infrastructures that threaten the free world, and still there will be no questions asked as to why, That is fibre of the British Soldier, Royal Marine, Royal Navy and Royal Air Force.
                    Sorry for going all sentimental.
                    Yes.

Comment

Ta for the pic Jock, Chalky who is in Bris now was talking to Cliff the day they went out, 11 days later I was injured driving the pig, got the date from micpot who was coming back from rnr so knew the date. Took me a while to get my head around the book title, " Wasted Lives etc " but yes, so many young people died. We will not forget them.
                      Spanners do it with their tools.

Comment

Today I have been thinking about young Clifford all day, we will not forget him.
                        Spanners do it with their tools.

Comment

Comment

In memory of Private David James McCahill
                            The Gloucestershire Regiment.
                            In memory of Gunner William John Marks
                            91st Field Regiment. The Royal Artillery.

Comment

Be who you are and say what you feel...
                              Because those that matter, don't mind.
                              And those that mind, don't matter!

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X